DVD packaging for 2 disc sets. why so many differences from the same studio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul J Anderson, May 17, 2002.

1. Paul J Anderson

i'm just curious as to why some studios use sifferent types of packaging for their 2 disc sets. Fox comes to mind quickly. Fight Club and Moulin Rouge have their special cardboard sets. the 5 star sets, The Abyss: Special Edition, Big Trouble in Little China and Patton are packaged in double alphas. then you have Cast Away, Planet of the Apes, The Phantom Menace and From Hell in the slim double amaray cases. why not just one standard case for all their sets? Columbia/Tristar and Criterion do this as well. anyone know why this is done? i'm not complaining as i love 2 disc sets with lots of extras, but it just struck me as kind of odd thats all.

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Actually Columbia and Criterion are not consistent with their casings as well.

Criterion switched from double-Alphas to double-Amarays for the second printings of Armageddon. But kept the double-Alphas for The Rock and Carnival of Souls, to name a few.

CTS used digipack casing for Metropolis(2001) and double-Alpha casing for Glory: Special Edition. Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on The River Kwai: Special Edition and Dogma: Special Edition have book-like packaging. And Men In Black: Limited Edition arrived in a black cardboard box.

It just depends on the product.

3. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

Only negative aspect i can come up with is that they make your collection look a bit odd. On the other hand it would be kinda boring if all the cases looked alike. I have no problem with the fact that the studios try to develop and come up with different cases and packaging on their 2-disc sets in search for the perfect one. Personally i like the digipaks best. Of course naturally the product is the main reason for this.

The only case i really hate is the Universal's UE plastic-case. It's beautiful to look at but soo fragile. My Meet Joe Black was slightly damaged already in shipping. It's the only case that's ever been damaged in shipping so far for me.