1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dvd or receiver to do the decoding?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon avr1700 no DTS w/5.1 inputs. I'm eventually going to get new receiver, probably next year after all the brands finally release their new stuff. My question is it better to have the receiver to do the decoding or will a Dvd decoders sound as good like a receiver? But, many new Dvd players offer built-in decoders for both formats. Like I said I don't have DTS yet and I was going to get the Denon 3802 but decided to wait for Yamaha, Harmon Kardan, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite , and others to release w/ all the new goodies. Does anyone have a DVD player w/ built-in decoders doing the decoding? I am getting a new Dvd player as well. How is the sound quality? I heard that it's good to have Receiver doing and a Dvd isn't as good. It that true? It will be cheaper for me for now, and I won't have to wait as long to finally have DTS!
    I made the mistake of buying the avr1700 not knowing that avr1800(that had DTS) was being released 3 months later. Now I know when replacements for receivers get released. That's why I decided to hold off on the 3802. After these new replacements, I don't plan on buying for a while. And why not wait and make the right decision.
    ------------------

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Let the receiver (or pre-amp, if going separates) do the decoding. More sources can use DD and DTS decoding that way too.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

3. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Charles,
    You should use whichever decoder is the better one.
    You'll need to listen to them both to decide.
    If you make a substantial upgrade to your player before you upgrade your receiver, then you may find that the sound from the player's analog outputs is noticably better.
    Unfortunately, being able to make this comparison also depends on the features in your receiver. Some redigitize their multichannel analog inputs, others pass those signals through unchanged to the amplifier. Redigitizing would tend to mask improvements in the player.
    Another problem is that very few receivers provide any bass management or speaker timing alignments when their multichannel analog inputs are used. Depending on your speaker configuration, this couuld cause problems. Some of the newest dvd players include their own audio management controls, which helps a little. It also introduces variables that make it very hard to make direct comparisons. Unfortunately, a slightly louder output tends to sound better.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Charles,
    DVD players that have both Dolby Digital and DTS processors built in are rare, and somewhat expensive.
    Since you're planning to upgrade to a DTS capable receiver pretty soon, and the receiver you're considering will probably have a better processor than one built into a dvd player, I think it would be a waste of money to buy a player with a DTS processor built in at this time.
    If you're going to buy a new player you should not waste the extra money for onboard DD and DTS processing if you're going to get a DTS capable receiver in only a couple of months anyway.
    If you find a dvd player with some other features that are "must haves" that just happens to also have DD and DTS processors built in, then go for it.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.