DVD opens tray at end of movie...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Gale, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Just finished The Bad and the Beautiful, wonderful movie, and got a surprise at the end, the DVD tray opened. Do any other discs do this? I'm not really nuts about the feature, I was ready to check out the extras and I know how to operate the OPEN button.
    Jim

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Then again...the extras are on the flip side so the automatic eject makes pretty good sense!

3. adrian b

adrian b Stunt Coordinator

unless of course your equipment is behind glass doors or such (like mine). Then we have a major problem.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

or if you have a slot-loading DVD player (I think I have seen one of these)... that would be bad.

5. adrian b

adrian b Stunt Coordinator

where did you see a slot loading player? I thought about one of these about a year ago (for my son) but couldn't ever find a manufacturer.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Doesn't one of the movies that are stretched across 2 discs do this at the end of Disc 1? Maybe Ten Commandments or Godfather Part 2 or Jesus of Nazarath, or something like that? I have a dim memory of such, and also perhaps of an older DVD of a kid's title doing this when it was over. My memory can't dig up the proper data, though. [​IMG]
    But maybe this will jog other peoples' memories...

7. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I just watched "The Bad & The Beautiful" about a month ago and I didn't have this problem on my Toshiba 3108. I would definitely have noticed that as my player is behind glass.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Jim, you didn't tell us what player you have?

I have 2 Pioneer changers, so I wouldn't want to see them spit out either, but 3 of my flippers do that. At the end of the 1st side, the machine will toss it back into the rack and go to the next number. What I did, as they are flippers and are old (and cheap), was to buy a 2nd one, so I just have about a 30 second pause in the movie, as the 2nd one loads right up and starts.

Glenn

P.S. I guess the question is, is this a feature or a glitch?

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

The player is a Pioneer Elite DV-09, I didn't mention it 'cause this is the Software area and I thought (was hoping) everyones copy Of TBATB was doing this.

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My Pioneer DVL-909 will eject the disc automatically if the disc is the wrong region (but I made it region-switchable, so all I have to do is switch it, ha ha ha!) I have a few discs that go into STOP mode at the end of the movie (which I prefer rather than being rudely awakened by a silly menu), but I've never seen one eject after playing.

11. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My friend's DVD player does this with some DVDs. I've seen it do it myself. I think he has a Panasonic, but I don't know what model it is. I have an Apex, and the movies I watched over my friend's house that popped out of his machine, didn't with mine.

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That's funny Jim, as I have the DV-F07's, but it seems like it isn't a player problem. I don't run many movies all the way through the end of the credits, though, so I might have others. This is a software problem, I guess.

Glenn