What's new

DVD only playing in "Pro Logic" mode. (1 Viewer)

Rich Gio

Grip
I have my Toshiba 1700 DVD player "temporarily" hooked up to my receiver using the rca jacks labeled "analog out", until the Digital coax I ordered comes in. I've played several new title DVD's and all of them will only play in "pro logic". Is this because I'm using the analog jacks?

Thanks...Where IS that damn UPS truck with my cables!!!

george king

Supporting Actor
Yep, you won't get DD or DTS until you hook up your digital cable. I do not know your DVD player, but you may have to go into the setup menu and tell the player to output the digital signal.
Have fun.:)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I've played several new title DVD's and all of them will only play in "pro logic". Is this because I'm using the analog jacks?
Yes. The digital signal for Dolby Digital and DTS will only pass through the optical or coax connection. Once you get the proper cable your receiver will light up like a Christmas tree. But make sure of the following:
  • You have selected the Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack on the DVD you are playing (many default to the Dolby Surround track).
  • Make sure your receiver is properly set up such that the digital input is assigned to the correct input (if that's how yours works - if a fixed assignment then you're fine).
  • Your receiver is set to digital input vs. analog input.
Good luck.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Right on target Rich, good guess.

The analog L&R outs on all DVD players does an automatic downmix of DD5.1 to an analog 2-channel output which contains DPL encoded cues for a DPL processor. DPL processors work on 2-channel sources.

By the way if you have a spare 75 Ohm RCA to RCA video cable like those you use for component video to the TV (which uses 3 cables) it is the same thing as a "Digital Coax" audio cable.

A RadioShack gold series 75 Ohm AV cable ($9) is a "Digital Coax" audio cable. You don't need to wait for one to come in.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Don't worry, it aint broken! Any digital sound (dolby digital, DTS) in multi-channel discrete output will not be docoded in your receiver unless it is sent digitally using either a Toslink Optical cable or an audio coax cable. Using the RCA jacks as you are, you will only be able to enjoy your DVDs in Dolby Pro-Logic with non-discrete surround. :frowning: Fear not, you will be blown away in the coming days when your cable gets here! Hang in there! :)
EDIT: Hoo-ahh, that's the beauty of HTF. Before I even post, there are like five people ahead of me helping this guy out. This place will never cease to amaze me! HTF rocks!

Rich Gio

Grip
Thanks for the input everyone! Man that was fast!

>>>A RadioShack gold series 75 Ohm AV cable ($9) is a "Digital Coax" audio cable. You don't need to wait for one to come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks