DVD online price guide?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon B NY, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

Hello, this is my first HTF post and I'm very happy that I'm joining up! You all seem like a very nice group of friends who've estabished a nice little community, and I'm glad to be a part of it. By the way my name is Jon, I live on Long Island in New York and I'm 18 years young. I hope to get to know you all very well [​IMG]

Anyways, down to business...I have quite an extensive collection of DVD's. Some rare, some OOP, some still available and I'm having a hard time figuring out what each are worth (besides ebay value, of course). Like for example...I have The Killer (Criterion) and that goes for anything from $60-200 on ebay. Some others are Robocop (Criterion), Lady and the Tramp, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, etc. Is there a standardized worth for all of them?

That leads me to my questions, is there any online source where I can find out? If there's a book out there also, I'll also grab that (I work in a bookstore).

So is there anything out there at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Hi Jon, welcome to HTF!

As far as I'm concerned, the average eBay sale value is a reasonable estimate of worth. For instance, if my DVDs were stolen, I would use eBay to estimate the replacement cost of the OOP ones.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Yep, with eBay you can get an idea of a good going price. Provided there are more than one or two examples that have ended. You need a decent sampling to get a realistic average price. Printed price guides for anything seen as collectible are largely worthless IMO. It's worth what someone's willing to pay, not what a book says it should be worth. Many price guides use averaged prices taken from retail shops that specialize in a given type of collectible. With eBay & other online sources out there for things now retail shops generally end up being way to the high side of somethings value.

4. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the insight guys!