DVD on computer monitor

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ChrisBoyde, Jul 1, 2003.

1. ChrisBoyde

ChrisBoyde Auditioning

Ok my computer monitor supports a max of 1600x1200 and I belive 480p is quite lower than that (isn't 720p lower too)? So If I can run this res can I get HDDVD on my computer monitor with my dvd-rom?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

No because:

1) HD-DVD isn't out yet and may not come out at all (blu-ray instead)

2) If the DVD Forum does decide on a standard for the "HD-DVD" it will probably use blue-laser, meaning you'd have to buy a new HD-DVD-ROM.

But your monitor can technically display all of 1080p when a new format comes out.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

No. But that Terminator 2 extreme edition has a thing where you can watch the movie in 1080 with wmp 9. But apparently your computer has to be pretty fast.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's not 1080, it's approx 720p

Yes you need 2GHz+ to run it full res

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Quote from an AVS thread on the T2 WM version:

6. ChrisBoyde

ChrisBoyde Auditioning

I didn't mean the new HDDVD format sorry I'll try to be more clear. What I meant was can my computer monitor act as a HDTV (I mean it's capable of a res over 720p). So why can't I watch my DVD's on my computer in 720p or 480p like if I had a HDTV and a progressive scan dvd player?

Oh and I did download the 720p version of the T2 extreme trailer from http://windowsmedia.com/9series/Demo...deoQuality.asp
    it plays fine on my comp even with my older Radeon 7000.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Chris, I think I understand exactly what you're asking.

YES, when you play DVDs on your PC, hooked up to a 1600 x 1200 monitor, the DVD image will be scaled to your selected resolution. This provides a much more film-like image. At 800 x 600 and below you can still clearly see the gaps between the scan lines, but once you hit 1024 x 768 and above, the scan lines blend together into a smooth, silky image. [​IMG]

My favorite demo bit for this phenomenon is the FOX logo on the Cleopatra disc. Play this disc with PowerDVD and pause the logo. Switch between 640 x 680 and your max resolution. Notice how the top of the "0" in 20 looks like a bunch of horizontal line segments stacked on top of one another at 640 x 480, but looks completely solid at hi-res.

Enjoy! [​IMG]

9. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Yes, generally speaking, just add a "P" to the second number of a resolution to get the equivilant DVD/HD resolution.

Thus, 1600x1200 would equal 1200P! It's amazing to think that everyone already has "HDTV's" sitting on top of their desks.

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer