What's new

DVD "not lasting another three years"? okey-doke... (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Link Removed ;)
I love the guy who started the thread, but I'm shocked at his aversion to both digital media AND OAR. Yikes.

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently, this guy is confused. ;) I guess he likes rewinding tapes and not getting the entire movie on his screen. Oh well, whatever makes him happy.
OAR Rules!!! :D :D
DF

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Actually I agreed with a lot of his points... except for the widescreen argument.
As for menus, I don't think fast forwarding and scene selections was the thing that he was opposed to, but rather menus in general taking to long to finish, a point a lot of people agree with I think (although some people like that as well of course)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Why? At best he's misinformed and at worse he's an idiot.
I said "I love the guy" because I know him, and aside from his anti-DVD slant he's an ok guy. I was making it clear that I wasn't trying to rip into him, just his argument.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I personally hate long-winded menu.

Just give me Superbit-style menu and I'll be happy. Please, none of those full-motion menu that takes hours before I can actually access the menu

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
In reading that whole thread, again I'm amazed at the technical ignorance of many people. It seems scary to me how little people actually understand technology, potentials, current technology, and what is to come.

People pick up little tidbits, usually second hand, and latch onto them with both hands. It's simply amazing to me the perception of the average person...

-V

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
:laugh:
It's a real shame how uniformed some people are...even scarier, though, that these uninformed folks would talk about something they don't understand with such conviction...makes them look pretty foolish, IMO.
I'd say stupid, but that would be ingnorant.
It gets frustrating, ya know... :angry:

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Yeah...how long does it take to pop in the TPM DVD and get to the film, about 20-30 seconds...How long does it take to do with the VHS???

About 15-25 seconds...

Wooo....big advantage there...

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I don't mind long-winded menus, as long as the DVD allows for skipping right to the main part of the menu. If I have to wait, I don't like it....

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
...and how long does it take to re-wind a VHS tape versus a DVD...oops, you don't have to "re-wind" a DVD. :laugh:

Shel

Auditioning
VHS is not dead yet, but it is dying. I deal with these kinds of people every day who refuse to upgrade to DVD for hundreds of different 'uninformed' reasons. It's VHS that won't last another three years, and it's very sad that I'm still changing over my VHS collection to DVD. There won't be another mass format change for a long time, DVD is here to stay, sooner or later all these people will figure that out. And another thing, what kind of DVD players to they have, the res on my cheap little Sanyo is still better than VHS at a 15 zoom?

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Last night I watched Meet the Parents on vhs (checked out from library). I had to fast forward through the promos and assorted crap (11 minutes worth). Of course they don't tell you ahead of time how much crap you'll have to ff through, so it took a little longer than 30 seconds. I'll take a "slow loading menu" over that any day of the week.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I like this comment:
In my opinion, anyone who doesn't appreciate having films presented in their theatrical aspect ratio or the near infinite lifespan of DVD doesn't deserve to have them. They should not be allowed to upgrade.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks