DVD multi disc sets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DAN NEIR, Aug 26, 2002.

1. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

I remember when dvd 1st came out, one of the many attractions to it was that now you could have all the info on ONE disc. Unlike laser disc which could sometimes have 3 or 4 discs for the movie and any supplemental stuff. But now what gives?? EVERY movie out is practically a 2 disc set. And now we're getting 3, 4 and 5 disc sets coming out soon. Everybody seems to be ok and or happy with this, am I the only one that has a problem with this? I mean this is just like laser disc all over again, having to switch discs just to see supplemental stuff. And in the case of the Godfather set, Godfather Part 2 is split on to 2 discs!

2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

There's a big difference between a disc holding 30 min of content and over 3 hours. With a few exceptions most DVD movies are contained on one disc. The extra disc(s) movement is great, because it means more supplemental material. Would you be happier if all DVD's were crammed onto one disc and all the great extras were just left off?

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Multidisc is fine with me. What we don't want are single disc movies that have tons of extras. The video bitrate has to be slashed and quality suffers - see Back to the Future part 1 [​IMG]
    3 discs for Blackhawk Down seems a bit excessive, especially when it still doesn't have DTS. Do we really need 2 discs of extras? Pfft.
    Superbit SE is the ultimate package.
    1 disc dedicated to the highest video/audio quality
    1 disc dedicated to extras.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Largely one need not switch discs for the feature itself. On those rare occasions that the film is split, it's done for length and to make sure that video and audio bit quality are maintained.

I have no problems with the multidisc sets coming out today. I quite look forward to the Four Disc FOTR disc coming out this fall. Bring them on!

I don't think it even compares to LD multi sets.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For a DVD movie to be split across 2 disks, it generally is a longer type of film like Pearl Harbour or FOTR (3.5 hour version) so this is not too bad. Laserdisks were split for just about every film, sometimes 3 disks. With 2 disk DVD's most of the time the film is on one disk and extras on the other which is also not too bad.

6. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

I like the extras, but do I really need 3 discs worth of extras? And the only extras I ever bother w/ are deleted scenes and sometimes the commentary, but that's just me.

7. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I don't mind multi-disc sets, since my DVD player has three trays - what I do mind are double-sided discs.

8. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

While I was never into laserdisc (too young), I would imagine that DVD is an entirely different case. Size is a big factor here. A 4-disc DVD set (i.e. Pearl Harbor VS, LOTR) can present every possible angle of the making of a film, while at the same time being attractive and collectible. Most multi-disc sets have become as much a collectible thing, as a movie thing. Look at the recent releases, the production values are going up, and the packaging is becoming much more extravagant. I'm not sure about the price of multi-disc laserdisc releases, but I think I get more than my money's worth for Pearl Harbor and LOTR.

I don't know what to tell you about having to change discs, that's just a personal thing, but I don't mind having extras on multiple discs to present the best possible picture and sound for the film. While I agree, many films are getting the two-disc treatment that don't really really need it (i.e. Van Wilder), I'm just glad we aren't still in the days single disc releases with bad picture, bad sound, and no extras.

9. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

I also agree w/ getting the best picture and sound possible but haven't we reached a point where the technology is possible to put this all on one disc?
    Also I remember when an avereage dvd price was around $20, now with all these multi sets, price are inching further up towards $40 a dvd.$60-$130 for a box set.
    Laser discs averaged at $40 a laser, where as the special eds went for $70-$250 a set.

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Keep in mind that multidisc sets such as FotR and Pearl Harbor have had prior dual-disc releases. The dual disc releases have prices that are in line with single disc releases.

If you don't wish to have the 4 disc release, than buy the 2 disc. I really don't think it's WRONG to have another option for people who want more.

I've even found Pearl Harbor 4 disc for $24 and FotR's 4 disc is available in the $25 range, and may be lower at release date.

I'm really having trouble finding anywhere to complain on this issue.

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

12. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

You can almost aways score a new 2-disc set for less than $20 if you pick it up on the first week of release. It's getting to the point where an additional disc has practically no impact on the price of the DVD.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The 4-disc LOTR will be about 26 dollars in most places.

There's 1-disc releases that cost that much.

15. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

16. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Space is finite. Greediness is infinite.

So long as filmmakers and/or consumers want loads of bonus materials...every format is going to hit a stopping point and needs to be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled.

Look at The Frighteners - Signature Selection Laserdisc...1hr45min movie, 4hr30min documentary.

17. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I don't really see the problem with this. A DVD can only hold so many hours of video with a high bitrate, and if the movie is especially long, or the production team has tons of extra material, what's wrong with putting it on more discs so everything can be included in a good quality???
    I don't really think 2-disc sets generally are more expensive than standard releases, and if a special edition is really expensive, there will most likely be a standard edition along with the SE...

18. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to see some more double sided discs instead of 2 disc sets just to save space.

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If space is your concern, there are double Amaray cases that take up no more room for two discs than one, and largger collection can fit in a multipac, further saving space if desired.

As stated above, on disc space is limited, and in order to get the best possible transfer with current technology, I have no issue with 2 or more discs, though unless absolutely necessary, keeping the film on a single disc is preferred.

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd like to add another thing...
    Any movie can benifit from more space on a DVD.
    City Lights, an 88 minute movie, is on a dual layered disc. It only had about 40 minutes of extra video for the supplements and has PCM 2.0 audio.
    Oddly enough, the video has NO edge enhancement and NO digital artifacts whatsoever. The film is filled with contrasty scenes...all this despite over 3000 edits done to the image in the digital realm. [​IMG]