DVD - MP3 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I am thinking about buying a DVD player that has the MP3 capability.
    My questions are:
    Do you have to buy any special type of CD disc?
    Do they have to be recorded in any special or particular way... including bitrate and burning?
    Can you have different directories on the disc or do all the files have to be in the root directory?
    How do the MP3 / DVD players work in general?
    [Edited last by Steven Page on November 13, 2001 at 10:43 PM]

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

At least in the players I have seen, mp3 playback is an afterthought. No real effort is put into documentation or the ability aside from playing mp3s.
    The panasonic rv31 - no filename support, only numbers, can fast forward through songs, no random. A good player, but you have no way of knowing what file you are on. Fast load times of mp3 cds - 6 seconds.
    Samsung DM-301 - 8 character filename support - a vague idea of what you are playing - no fastforward - no random.
    Slower load times of the same mp3 cd - 36 seconds.
    I have bought both players, and kept the Samsung, I liked the coax/toslink outputs as opposed to the toslink only of the rv31. Make sure you take a disc to whatever store to test the player, the interface of mp3 players can really help/hurt them.
    About bitrate. Most don't like viable bit rates. Anyithng 128 should play fine, above that - up to 320 is probably ok, and below 128 to 56k is probably ok as well. Still, sometimes there are just songs that don't wanna play on the Samsung or the rv31.
    Good luck,
    Jon

3. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

i have the jvc XV-SA75, it has cdr, cdrw mpe playback. it will diplay your folders and your full song titles.
    i love it. the only problem is that it has to go thru analog out.
    geordy
    ------------------

4. jacek p

jacek p Agent

My toshiba SD 3750 plays MP3 on ISO formated 650MB CD-R with 8-character name display, directory recognition and navigation through optical link. My only gripe is that rare MP3 files are not played correctly, I need to tweek it more(see other threads on this topic). The same player is progressive and can be had for $169+shipping, that is exactly, why I picked it.

5. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

With the Denon DVD-2800 you have an on-screen menu where you navigate through the different directories on the disc. Looks a bit like a low-resolution explorer clone. [​IMG]
    It will play all bitrate MP3s but anything above 128k will bee reduced to 128k to ensure the quality isn't too close to the original recording. Probably all players do this.
    It's very quick to read files, but the CD takes a short while to load, maybe 8-10 seconds.
    I think it shows 8 letters in the filename.
    Sound quality was surprisingly good, better than I expected. Many songs were noticeably harsh with voices and avobe frequencies but some are very good. [​IMG]
    The manual shows how to play files and tells how the CDs have to be burnt in order to play proprly.
    You have to burn the cd using the "ISO0660 level 1" standard. At least with my DVD-2800.
    I've had some trouble playing my files. It takes short (0.1 second) pauses during the songs. I don't know what standard the cd is burned at because it was burned a long time ago by a friend of mine. My files are also located five branches from root on the directory tree. I will burn a new cd and try with all the files in root.
    TAH
    ------------------
    Picture of my setup so far:
    http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stue02.jpg
    Visit my stupid website:
    http://spots.flatland.com/tahustvedt/grass/
    [Edited last by Tor Arne on November 14, 2001 at 10:56 AM]

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

MP3 capability is merely a nice bonus, and I wouldn't base a purchase on just that. That being said, if I were looking to buy a new player right now that had MP3 support, I'd go with the Panasonic RP-56 (I think I have that model number right). It has progressive scan, no chroma bug, great anamorphic downconversion (if you don't have a widescreen set), and will play just about any brand of CD-R you throw at it. Yes, the MP3 navigation isn't as good as some of the others listed here, but it has it in all the other important areas. However, it does let you play MP3's within directories. I burn all my MP3 discs with album names for the directories, and my Panny RV-31 (which has the same navigation scheme as the 56) plays each album in order, alphabetically, so long as you have the tracks numbered.
    I will agree with the earlier statement that some of these players choke on variable bit rate MP3's. 95% of my MP3's are encoded at 192k, and the Panasonic has never stumbled over any of them (and I have over 65 discs full of albums archived). One important note: Most, if not all, of the MP3 compatible DVD players will not play multi-session CD-R's. But so long as you burn everything in one session and then close the disc, you're good to go.

7. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

Just as a word of warning... The Panny RP-56 can only access 150 MP3s encoded on a disk. Also, the JVC 60/65GD family of players can only access 100 MP3s. I just found this out yesterday while I was a work trying to answer a persons problems accessing his 252 MP3s. Then again, I have no idea why he had 252 songs on one disk, but he did.

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    this is kinda off-topic but i just had a sweet idea- a DVD-R burned full with mp3's. that's ~1350 3.5MB songs!! that's pushing 80 hours of music on one single-layered, single-sided disc. that would be so damn cool!!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

9. Adrian Hansen

Adrian Hansen Auditioning

-----------------------------------------------------------
    this is kinda off-topic but i just had a sweet idea- a DVD-R burned full with mp3's. that's ~1350 3.5MB songs!! that's pushing 80 hours of music on one single-layered, single-sided disc. that would be so damn cool!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    the riaa and studio execs would certainly make it rain then.
    but anyway, yamaha just released the dvds530 which will also play mp3 for $299 this is a dvd player with lots of good build quality and great reputation along with the mp3 quality. all this for about five hundred less than the denon, which you NEED if you have an HDTV. otherwise, i vote yamaha. samsung? apex? c'mon.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I have a cheap, multi-region player marketed by UK company Scan. I think it's based on a fairly generic Korean design, also used by Goldstar.
    MP3 playback, to be honest, is really good. Controls and onscreen display are pretty basic, but the actual audio quality when using well-encoded files is excellent. I've done several comparisions, using the original audio CD playing on my Pioneer DV-09, with a Lame-encoded VBR MP3 file playing on the Scan. When both sources are fed into the Denon (i.e. same DAC), I honestly cannot hear any appreciable difference.

11. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Weird... the RP-56 can only do 150? My RV-31 handled one of my comedy concert MP3 discs with 198 files just fine, so why would the RP-56 be any different?
    Are you sure the guy wasn't using a multi-session disc? If it's multi-session, some players will only read the first session of the disc and some will only read the last session before the disc was closed. The Panny's only read the first session.