What's new

DVD movies that don't recognize on Xbox (1 Viewer)

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
For now, the Xbox will have to be my primary DVD player. I was wondering if anyone has run into compatability problems with any of their DVD's on the Xbox. So far, I have had one problem.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
I got this message screen.
"Your Xbox can't recognize this disc. Make sure it's an Xbox game, DVD movie, or audio CD"...etc
It's not the disc, as I've had no trouble playing the disc on two other players.
Anyone else have a problem getting a DVD movie to load on their Xbox?..
Thanks

Todd_R

Grip
I have this same problem. Funny thing is the DVD-2 of the Snow White set plays just fine. All my other Disney DVD's play just fine too!! Only Snow White is a problem. Bummer.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Hopefully we'll get a firmware patch to upgrade the DVD player in the future using the broadband.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't work in mine either. Disney DVD's are a pain in the butt.

-Dave

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Yeah I got the same thing with mine as well. I did check out the Dinosaur disc, I found that you can at least watch the movie, it has problems going back to the menu from playing the disc.

Dean

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to also try contacting Disney. I bet the problems has more to do with the disc than the Xbox. Disney is notorious for their DVDs giving problems in many players, and they know it too. This was a popular issue with Dinosaur when it was first released.

Todd_R

Grip
I contacted XBOX customer support. Much to my suprise, after waiting 30 minutes on hold, I actually got to speak with a person representing Microsoft!! Anyway, I didn't get as far as "Snow" before he interupted me laughing saying "Yep, we've received hundreds of calls about that!". He said that it is a Disney screw-up with that DVD. It could be a new copy protection on DVD 1 messing things up or just a data formatting problem that some DVD players can't get around. Disney has yet to explain to Microsoft what the problem is but they are currently investigating it he said. He also said there as several brands of DVD players that won't play DVD 1 of Snow White. He thought that Disney had mentioned that they would possibly be silently fixing the problem & those 'fixed' DVD's would be the ones sold at stores at that point. He recommended calling Disney & that they might replace the DVD with one that works once it is fixed.
Thankfully, he said this is the only DVD they've had trouble with so far. That's good news!! Ironically, the Dinosaur DVD which had menu slow-down troubles with my Toshiba DVD player, plays just fine on the XBOX! Go figure!! :)
Keep your fingers crossed that Disney comes though with a fix. If anyone has a phone number or e-mail addy for Disney customer service, please post it. I couldn't find any on their mixed up website!
-Todd

If you look around on Link Removed they have databases of DVDs which have problems with the PS2, and now with the Xbox. I'm afraid I don't have an exact URL, but it's there!

WilliamS

Agent
DVD players and video game machines don't mix very well. Playstation 2 is decent back-up DVD player at best. I hear the Fugazi DVD won't play on PS2 becuase it can't read DVD9s, of which the DVD is.

Todd_R

Grip
Actually, Xbox video quality on DVD is quite good for an interlaced DVD player. Not high-end of course, but it's better than my Toshiba 2200 that's for sure. I've compared my 3 DVD players including the Toshiba, XBOX, PS2 & the XBOX is hands down the best picture. My PS2 DVD quality is not too good in comparison to the XBOX. I just hope the list of problem DVD's is few for XBOX. So far I've only seen Snow White to be a problem...uhh...and Rocky according to another user here. I have yet to find this database full of DVD's XBOX won't play. According to the Microsoft rep, they have only heard of that 1 as well so far.

-T

UPDATE: Found the list. PS2 has TONS of DVD's that have problems. So far, XBOX has three, two of which, not suprisingly, are Disney movies (Snow White & Fantasia 2000). Fantasia has some minor skipping only. Planet of the Apes seems to Lock up at chapter 16. Anyway, not a big list for XBOX. Hope it stays that way & that Disney gets their act together. It says they are currently working with Microsoft to fix the problem.

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
I checked Planet Of The Apes on my xbox and it plays fine. I played chapters 15-17 without a glitch. If that is where the layer change is is is completely undetectable.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
so far every DVD i have has played fine.Its also the best at layer changes out of the players i have had.Undetectable..even on dvds with bad layer changes..color me impressed

Todd_R

Grip
Yeah I'd have to agree XBOX, for a midrange non-PS DVD player is very good. Some MS haters just won't hear anything about it being anything except a very low end DVD player, but that just isn't the case thankfully. PS2 is very low end for DVD playback, XBOX isn't. I was shocked that the picture was so much better than my Toshiba DVD player but it was.

It isn't suprising that every DVD you've tried plays just fine. According to Microsoft, they've only received calls about just that one DVD (Snow White). I'm glad to hear from Jim that Planet of the Apes plays fine. Even though IGN.com reported that one on their list, XBOX support didn't mention it. My guess is that some coppies of POTA's plays fine & some of them don't play. I'm sure IGN wouldn't put that on their list unless they found multiple instances of a problem.

For now my XBOX is my main DVD player too so let's hope the list says at just a few minor problems and that's it. Plus so far, the DVD's that are a problem seem to be trouble for some stand-alone DVD players too.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i have a ps2, and i own fantasia 2000 and snow white. worked great. maybe because i have updated the driver with the new ps2 remote control.

Todd_R

Grip
Those work fine on my PS2 also. I don't even have a remote or updated driver. The problem with those DVD's were with XBOX not PS2.

-Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks