DVD Megachangers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Drugan, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Bob Drugan

Bob Drugan Agent

Hi

I am running out of shelf space so I've been looking into a megachanger - which one offers the best picture plus ease of use ?

TIA,

Bob

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bob, it would help if you would state your budget and whether you need progressive-scan video output.

3. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

Kenwood DV5900 has a Faroudja chip(DCDI) and is progressive scan. It is a 400+3 disc megachanger and is probably the only one with progressive scan output right now.

4. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

the problem with mega changers is that you need a real deep audio rack to hold them on my old rack the back 4 inches of the changet stuck out and i just got a new one that i have to cut a hole in the back it still is not deep enough

5. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

The newer Sony DVD megachangers are noral component depth, but I'd avoid them. They have this quirk where when you turn the unit on, it searches out the last disc you watched (if it has been removed it then goes to disc #1) and starts playing it. What makes it go from bad to terrible is that many DVD's won't let you shut them off until the FBI waring plays through [​IMG] Also, the display died after 1 hour's use on the Sony 300+1 DVD changer I had.

6. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Many people like the GUI in Pioneer's 300+1 megachanger.

It's available as the Pioneer DV-F727 and Elite DV-F07, as well as the Marantz VC-8100 and Integra DPT-1. The Marantz version of the changer is probably the best of the bunch. The design is a couple of years old, so it doesn't have the video enhancements available in current single-disc players: it only provides an interlaced video output, for example.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Good points, Selden. Add the Onkyo DV-M301 to the list. It was designed after the Pioneer models and is similar to the Integra unit.

8. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

I can't remember which site I read it, but user reviews of the Kenwood (Soverign?) progressive scan megachanger (it's in their high-end line like the Pioneer-Elite). People that had bought it really hated the user interface to it. I don't think it has a keyboard input like the Sony and you have to do everything through the remote. That was the direction I was heading until I read those reviews. Several of the reviewers has returned their units.

The idea of being able to throw in 300 DVDs and forgetaboutit was appealing! I'd love to have a megachanger, but I don't think a really good one is made in my (sub $1000) price range.

I also read that Sony's megachanger 300+1 is nice, but tends to jam from time to time. It is also not progressive scan. Circuit City I think has a $100 mail-in on it bringing the price down to $399 though.

I ended up buying the Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan for $229, and may upgrade in the future after my DVD collection grows.

Maybe the 2003 offerings will bring something worth buying

-Dave

9. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I just got rid of my Sony 300+1 DVD changer, I liked it fine enough but I want a higher performance unit. I've always liked the thought of the kenwood changer, especially since it does DVD-Audio as well.
    Anyone know of a place online for that beast?
    -Aaron

10. Rob_b

Rob_b Agent

Check out www.crutchfield.com for the kenwood.
    I just picked up the Onkyo M301 for $399 new. I wish it was progressive.

11. John B. Holbrook

Interesting thread.

Just today I read that Sony has a 300 + 1 PROGRESSIVE scan DVD player for $500.00 coming out this summer (June I believe.) Sony DVP-CX875P. NOTE: don't even bother looking on sonystyle.com for info (Sony's pretty bad about not putting up info on future models).

I was initially drawn to the Sovereign 5900 too, but read disapointing reviews. Once of the big problems I read continually about was an upwards of 3 second delay on layer changes. Couldn't justify $1100.00 for that.

I'm anxious to see if this model Sony is releasing can do a better job. $500.00 is a small price to pay for a megachanger. The only down side at this point is that the unit does not appear to support SACD. However, at $500.00, I could easily justify a later purchase of a single disc or even carosel (sp) type audio disc play that would (hopefully) support both SACD and DVD-A.

Anyone else have the skinny on this or other megachangers on the horizon? I can't believe every major DVD manufacturer doesn't by now offer a progressive scan changer. Alas, they are few.

12. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I've had the Sony 200 DVD changer for a few years. It's been a solid DVD player and has not had any problems.

The things I hate about it:

1)The turn on issue where it always starts to play a disk and doesn't want to stop till the FBI warning is over. You can get it to stop by pressing one of the file buttons to bring up a list, but it still takes a several seconds to respond.

2)The file menu is very slow. You can get it to move through faster but then it only shows the disk number. The newer model is faster, but still very slow. This is one reason I don't use it for CD's. It also doesn't work with the Sony 2-way remotes that display lists on disks, the CD mega changers do work with them. The Pioneer model has a very quick menu, why Sony cant get it is beyond me. The pioneer also allows much more information to be entered for the disk and allows you to overwrite DVD text information, the Sony does not. This can be a problem, for example the movie hackers shows the directors name, not the movie title. On the Sony you see only the directors name in the file list and there nothing you can do about it.

3)Won't read CD-R or CD/RW's, another reason I don't use it for playing CD's.

4)If I power it on with a DVD removed it will remove it from the list and sometimes the name will have to be reentered when the movie is replaced. I’ve not figured out why this only happens some of the time, but it makes me reluctant to loan friends my movies.

4.5)Doesn't have progressive scan, I use a HTPC for my new Projector based system and the improvement is huge. My wife doesn't like having to boot up a computer to play a movie though.

Things I liked about it:

1)At the time the interlaced video quality was better then the lower Sony models.

2)Allowed me to keep all my DVD's ready to play without anyone having to mess with the disks. No scratches or damage to the disks. Don't have to get up to look through the movies or to play them. I can separate them into different lists. I have a hole house system and can watch any movie from another room without going to the player.

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Concerning the sony...intially I had mine set up so after my preamp turned off; the Megachanger would loose power.

This caused problems. Now when I turn it off with the remote , it has time to put the disc back etc....problem free

In the #1 slot, I put a disc without warnings etc....no wait time

I am happy with mine and no misplaced discs!

14. MarcMorin

MarcMorin Auditioning

Gidday,
    First post so bear with me. I own 2 Pioneer DV-F07 for a total of 600+1 disk .. I just obtained the 2nd unit as a refurbished. I have them both in the shop because the salve-master function was not installed on earlier models .. I've used the single unit for 2 years now and other than the aforementioned quirks (the FBI logo and complex remote) and the thoroughly lame Disk Interface (limited to 12 chars, DOS looking interface, etc) .. I must say the untit is great. I'm glad for the purchase in spite of the quirks. Having 300 stored DVDs saved 3 full shelves of DVD's.
    Im looking into the Kenwood for the, again, aforementioned benefits, but the $1200 price tag is steep.
    The best place to find real world evaluations and comment is
    www.audioreview.com