DVD matches the whole system. Important or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

What do you think? If I'm planing to buy HT system for, lets say, 15 hundreds is it important to buy $200 DVD player or I can go with cheap Mintek for $80 (it has component video and digital audio outputs) and put saved $120 into better speakers or reciever?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Personally, I would avoid the dirt-cheap off-brand DVD players. You can now buy entry-level players from well-known manufacturers such as Pioneer, Panasonic and Toshiba for less than $150. I would be concerned about the quality and reliability of players from the Miniteks and Oritrons of the world.

3. Drake

Drake Agent

Jedd,

Don't skimp on your video source. It will cost you more money in the end. I echo Scott's advice to stear clear of off-brand manufacturers. Scott mentioned Panasonic. I own a Pioneer DV-37, but reviews of the Panasonic DVD RP56 have been very good. It's an entry level player (costs around $230) that outperforms many other players that cost more. Additionally, it uses the the Sage/Faroudja chip which is present in many higher end players.

4. Duane Deen

Duane Deen Auditioning

I cheaped out and bought a $150 Pioneer and hated it so I returned it and bought a $200 3700 Toshiba. It is a great dvd player for the money, and has zoom feature so you can get rid of the black bars if you so desire.

Duane

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

What about ordinary CD's and self-written mp3 disks?
    Actually I need it mostly as audio source, which I can ocasionlly use as dvd to see a movie or two. (in a month)

7. Drake

Drake Agent

The RP56 won't have an issue with cds. As for MP3s, check the manufacturer's specs. If memory serves me right, it can handle MP3 playback along wih CD-R and CD-RW. Don't take my word for it thought. Double check the specs. You can probably find out on Panasonic's web site.

8. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

So if I buy RP56, then I'll have to go with Maranz 4000 instead of Marantz 5200 - $150 difference.
    Or give up AR5 main speakers to the AR9.
    Money is an issue. [​IMG]

9. Drake

Drake Agent

Jedd,
    I checked Panasonic's web site for specs on the RP56. It plays (DVDs, of course) original cds, CDR/RWs, and MP3s. I assume on the Marantz you're talking about the A/V receiver and not the DVD player models.
    I'm not trying to stear you in a new direction. Just sharing some info to help make your system the best it can be for the money. Trust me! I understand the budget issue! [​IMG]
    Does your $1500 budget include the monitor, or just DVD, receiver, and speakers (5.1 I assume)?

10. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

DVD, receiver and speakers.
    The goal is music, so I want a good reciever and 2 main speakers (Marantz and Acoustic Research or Paradigm), going to use phantom mode for the center, and something cheap for rear channels in the case I'd like to utilize my old TV.
    So my thought was to buy something with the matched audio output signal and probably the cheapest chinise model can do it (after all output is digital, so it should be easy)
    But as long as one drop of shit can ruin the whole barrel of honey...

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would still go with a known name, even the lowest model from a big name will be decent for both music and movies. I am using my 5+ yr old Panasonic A300U for music mostly right now with an SR4000 and it sounds great.

12. Drake

Drake Agent

Okay. Knowing that your priority is music, you can skip a progressive scan DVD player for now and go to an entry level model. Check out the Panasonic DVD-RV32K. The player supports Windows Media Player (WMA) playback, in addition to CDR/CDRW and MP3. The DVD-RV32K lists at $199. I bet you could find it for $169 or less.

Audition the player though. I don't have much to go on other than a "friend of a friend" said it was great. And I'm sure he was referencing it's performance on a movie, not a cd. When auditioning the player, be sure to also audition it with the volume low to see if the player is emitting a lot of disk spinning noise. This is common on some entry level players.

As for speakers, I prefer Paradigm over AR.