DVD Mastering Help-mpeg conversion?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Can anyone recommend a good software package for mastering DVDs? I'm trying to record some MPEG files that I have on my computer to dvd-video discs, and any software I have seems to want to re-encode the files. This re-encoding results in the audio getting way out of sync with the video. Is there any way to avoid this problem with what should be DVD compliant files?

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Ulead DVD Workshop has an option to not re-encode compatible files as long as all of your DVD settings are identical to your MPEG file. Even the wrong audio bit rate will cause it to re-encode, but I've never had a sync problems because of it.

I've never had sync problems with Sonic DVDit Professional Edition either, but DVD Workshop is much nicer to use.

And I always use DVD-compliant MPEG-2 files for my DVDs. I never use AVIs. Since I've never had a sync problem, I doubt that you will.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Actually John, that doesn't even seem to matter. I have done some playing and found that a file encoded at 8000 variable dropped into a project set to 5000 vbr, and if you select "do not re-encode" it will leave the file alone at 8000- because it is compliant with MPEG.

I don't know if this differs between versions, but mine seems to simply treat it as "compliant" files in a general term, not specific to the project settings.

-V

4. Chris Bardon

Actually, it appears that the reason everything was always re-encoding was that the audio on the files was sampled at 44.1 kHz as opposed to 48 kHz. When the software resamples the audio, it's out of sync with the original video. I've tried a few different programs now (Ulead, TMPEG, DVDLab etc), and all of them produce the same result. Is there any way to correct this sync problem?

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Resample the audio to 48k in another application before trying to do the dvd encode?

6. Chris Bardon

Tried that and then re-merged, (added video and audio streams separately), but no good-I get the same delay no matter how I try to convert the audio. It doesn't work, but at least it doesn't work consistently...