What's new

DVD magazine for newcomer to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
My 80-year old dad has just gotten into DVD, but he's not that up on what's out there; so if he went to a rental place, he would probably only recognize a few titles out of the thousands available.

So I was wondering if there is a magazine out there that comes out monthly, with reviews of new DVDs being released, as well as reviews of older DVDs (something that he could just flip through to get ideas for when he visits the rental place). Is there such a publication out there?

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
My 80-year old dad has just gotten into DVD, but he's not that up on what's out there; so if he went to a rental place, he would probably only recognize a few titles out of the thousands available.

So I was wondering if there is a magazine out there that comes out monthly, with reviews of new DVDs being released, as well as reviews of older DVDs (something that he could just flip through to get ideas for when he visits the rental place). Is there such a publication out there?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WSR.
They have a site here at HTF.
That's;
WideScreen Review.
They get bashed here alot for being DTS bias, which, thank goodness they are.
Not, thankgoodness, for being bias.
Thanks for waving the DTS flag.
They were the only mag I know of that told everyone DVI was a coming.
Saved me thousands of bucks.
For equipment and movie (not a review of the sound & picture quality of the disc) Prefect Vision (almost monthly, and expanding as we speak).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WSR.
They have a site here at HTF.
That's;
WideScreen Review.
They get bashed here alot for being DTS bias, which, thank goodness they are.
Not, thankgoodness, for being bias.
Thanks for waving the DTS flag.
They were the only mag I know of that told everyone DVI was a coming.
Saved me thousands of bucks.
For equipment and movie (not a review of the sound & picture quality of the disc) Prefect Vision (almost monthly, and expanding as we speak).

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I remember a mag that got lot loads of attention here at the forum. I don't know if the mag exists today but it was called Total Movie. Ahhhhh...Total Movie brings back such sweet memories. ;)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I just think Total Movie sucks. I would like to see a DVD magazine in the format of Dreamwatch (a sci-fi/fantasy magazine) when it come to articles and reviews. Still I would buy a DVD magazine that has news and reviews of DVDs from around the world (R0 through R6).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The most satisfying read among A/V magazines -- especially when it comes to good journalism and professional DVD reviews by qualified film critics and writers -- is The Perfect Vision. I take extreme exceptions to the magazine's subjectivist reviews of audio electronics (it is, after all, a sister publication of The Absolute Sound), but the writing, otherwise, is the cream of the A/V-journalism crop.

And even though the rest of Sound & Vision magazine is mostly useless to seasoned home-theater freaks, its DVD reviews, like TPV's, are written by literate, professional critics.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

However, just so you know, you can read a PV DVD review that gives away every plot device, without ever mentioning anything at all about the quality of presentation of sound & vision on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks