DVD Layer Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Y, Oct 11, 2001.

1. John Y

John Y Auditioning

hello all,
    i'm new to this forum so i hope that i'm in the right place for posting this concern. i'm also not much of a techie but here goes.
    my DVD player has lately been doing a bad job of reading the layer switch on just about every DVD i play on it, new or used. what used to be a one second or less pause has turned into as long as a 10-15 second wait before the switch occurs. also, the transition is always accompanied by a lot of clicking and whirring sounds coming from the player (a Toshiba 1200, by the way, identical to the 2109). another thing i should mention is that if i rewind picture over the spot at which the switch occurs and let it play through again, the player reads the switch fine. no noises, no extended delay.
    so do you think the pickup lens just needs to be cleaned (i've had the player a year) and if so how do you suggest i do this (i.e. a discwasher or authorized service)? or is there something more problematic going on with this player?
    thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Well John, you could try a discwasher or some other DVD disc cleaner. It might help. If it doesn't, I wonder if there would be some kind of firmware problem with your player.
    I have a 3108 Toshiba and had a firmware upgrade done on it and it has played everything I've put in it without a hitch. I suppose you could e-mail Toshiba troubleshooting about it and see what they have to say. Sometimes it's hard to get them to admit their product has a defect but if you persist you may get some help there. Good luck.

3. John Y

John Y Auditioning

Thanks Bob. I'll give Toshiba a shot at figuring it out.