1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Layer change pause

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jay Huron, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Jay Huron

Jay Huron Auditioning

I know this has been covered before, but it really bothers me that you pay several hundred dollars (or more) and the companies can't put a few dollars of memory in there to buffer the change. Plus, apparently, most/all HTPC DVD drives work just fine (which cost ~$50). They do it in diskmans and car cd players, why not use that in DVD players?

Are there any new players out besides a couple Denon's that have no layer change pause? Is there a way to tell by looking at the specs on a player. (I'm not really looking to pay $500 for a player anyway) I'd preferably like a 5 disk changer, but might go with a single just to get rid of the skip.

I saw one person say, "what's 1 sec. out of a 120 movie?" Well, it really brings me out of the movie as would any easily noticeable artifact or glitch. Of course the longer and more noticeable the pause the worse it bothers me. I've noticed some DVDs try to put it in between scenes or some where less noticeable at least.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've stuck with the Denon players because I don't like layer changes, but on certain movies there may still be a very slight pause (almost not worth mentioning). Every other player I've owned had a noticable pause during layer changes and it always bugged me.

CD players don't have to deal with multiple layers. SACD players maybe, but the SACD and redbook tracks are on separate layers so you probably wouldn't ever see a change during playback. PC DVD players are pretty much running off buffer more or less the whole time.

You can check secrets for the players they've tested which include layer change performance: http://www.sdinfo.com/main.html

3. Jay Huron

Jay Huron Auditioning

Yeah, I've seen that list, but it is about 3 years old or so isn't it? I don't think it had any of the cheap multi region players that ironically may not have any pause either. (mentioned in an other thread)

CD players have to deal with loss of data stream (diskman being dropped or bumped or driving over pot holes in a car unit) like the loss of data stream from a DVD layer change. I don't see that it would be that hard for them to add a buffer to any level DVD player.

4. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Also note that some DVDs which are on dual layer isn't really a true dual layer. An example would be the manufactuer's not maxing out the bitrate for both video and audio their full potential to take up the capacity of the disc. Bonus/extras do not count for this.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

That list is constantly updated. Not all players are tested though.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

Choose "View all players".

CD players are playing stereo audio only, not video. I'm sure there's a reason why manufacturer's haven't done this, because I would think all players would have this by now too.