dvd laser rot/delamination

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg K.G, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Greg K.G

Greg K.G Auditioning

The main point of this is to find out if this is still happening on r1 discs. I remember early on reading something about contact and some other r1 titles that had problem with dvd delamination. Has this been solved on r1 discs? more importantly tho is not what the publishers have said but has anyone had a dvd rott or delaminate thats been bought in the last say 12 months?
    The reason I ask is because I am from Australia and was under the impression this had been fixed down here, about 1 year ago I bought heat and it had problems straight away, last 10 mins used to break up (not delamination so maybe rott seeing it made the layer change) I got that replaced ok. Nutty professor 2 delaminated on me and I had the dvd for probably 3 months and I had too pull a swifty to get that replaced (use a reciept for a different dvd) seeing columbia tristar wouldn't respond to my email or phone calls. So I thought the problem must be cleared up until I find one of my more recently bought dvd's (fast and the furious) has delaminated and is that obvious I noticed it in the dark after taking it out of the player, doesnt have a scratch on the disc and has been watched twice. Once again I can't get a response from the distributor, and a friend borrowed men in black a while ago and said it stop 1/2 way through, I brushed it of thinking it must be his cheap dvd player but it may have laser rott. So have just about given up on dvd it will work out cheaper to rent a movie when I want to watch one.
    I havn't been able to check them all but so far my r1 dvds (approx 1 3rd of my collection) have been trouble free, so before I abandon dvd completely I thought I might ask you guys if region 1 dvd's are still dieing? and if not I just wont get r4 releases anymore. Thanks guys look forward to what you's have to say.

some articles you might like to have a look at if you buy r4 titles.
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...804519345.html
    http://www.andraste.org/discfault/discfault.htm

Greg.

2. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I'd say it's still happening but on a much smaller ratio, and after a longer period.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's always going to happen. This is not the kind of thing you can detect in manufacturing. Except possibly by microscopically examining every disc off the line (impossible)

4. Greg K.G

Greg K.G Auditioning

If its still happening in r1 aswell do you have trouble getting them replaced? I don't think its good enough selling something that a certain number of are going to be faulty and not providing and reasonable way for the effected customer to get things in order.

Greg.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Most studios will exchange the disc for you from what I've seen