DVD Journal Mailbag letter blasting Pro-OAR stance!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Nov 7, 2001.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

Firstly, I would have thought that any Parent who actively chooses P&S for their children are simply selling them short. Children are incredibly adaptable and will probably ignore the bars more easily than the parents. Its just a cheap excuse IMO.
    As for cost, why not charge a premium for P&S? They cost more to make as they take extra editing.

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

as costs come down, the most practical answer is to give you both on 2 DVD9's - as with Shrek.
    The much maligned DVD18 would also be a solution, but it is attractive to have artwork on the face of the disc
    Multi inventory is a mistake as it will prompt the lowest common denominator - ie pan and scan...

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

4. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

To me the biggest loser in this will always be those of us that want OAR.
    The DVD makers started the problem simply by getting us to first buy the disc when they first came out. They offered many special things. OAR, special editions, interviews and such.
    As soon as the Beverly Hillbillies bought their DVD player, those of us that knew the difference knew that we would be the ones that would be screwed.
    I have said many times that I believe that it is less expensive to letterbox a film than edit it to P&S, but if we look back, the companies did this with VHS as well.
    Too many tapes are available at Media Play in P&S with a retail price of $10.00 or below. But head over to the widescreen area, and you are looking at $20.00 for the same damn tape.
    As with Warner right now, I have yet in my area to find the widescreen edition of CATS AND DOGS. A movie that I would buy if available. I am choosing not to purchase on line siince I am trying to be credit card free.
    We are simply now paying for a trend that has caught on and we were the pawns in the plan for the studios to make the concept big.
    What will really mess with people's minds though are all these people that are P&S ignorant, just wait till wide screen televisions become the norm. Then they will have black bars on the side instead of top or bottom. The bitching will never end.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

6. John O

John O Stunt Coordinator

I realize that I will be in the minority here but here goes.
    I think the topic header is a little misleading. Where exactly is the blasting? The opinion and and the reply seemed well thought out and pretty even handed to me. As long as they offer OAR as a choice, I am happy.
    When I was an angry young man I was sure that I was right and they were wrong. Now that I am old and bitter I have come to realize that my dear departed mother was right all along. She used to say that everyone has the right to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is. [​IMG]

7. Duncan Harvey

Agree with you that the header topic is misleading. Its hardly a "blast" against OAR enthusiasts.
    Unfotunately enthusiasm often equals hyperbole...

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Okay, a day later I will agree that the subject header using the word "blasting" might have been a tad strong.
    Let me quote the parts that rubbed me the wrong way, though:

9. Duncan Harvey

Dave - fully with you on the fight for OAR, but it struck me that in the context of the usual standard of reporting, this article wasnt that bad. I would of course take issue with the panning and scanning of 1.85:1 material.
    I'm hoping that the DVD bandwagon has sufficient momentum to ensure that we do get OAR on all future releases, but that the 4:3 version will be supplied as well.
    Releases such as Shrek show this can be done with films that require DVD9s (I'm presuming that DVD 18s are out of favour due to cost).
    I've no interest with the full frame version, but can live with it as a neccesary evil.

10. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

A lot of P&Sr's are complaining about black bars on Dvd's, well they are going to be in for a big suprise down the road. While more P&S Dvd's are making their way into the marketplace, so is our next beloved OAR push . It's creaping up on cable & Tv series/movies, and I'm not even talking about HDTV broadcasts ! [analog broadcasts ~ Band Of Brothers, Enterprise, Uprising, and more] While one battle line is moving slightly backwards, not for long I hope, another less known line is creeping forward right under their noses !
    ~ here we come P&Sr's, better update your machinery !
    bodymov'n [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike Friedrich on November 08, 2001 at 06:17 AM]

11. John O

John O Stunt Coordinator

David, sorry if my lame attempt at humor insulted you, there was no offense intended. While I don't agree with everything in the letter (I think that the P&S reasoning is lame) the author is entitled to his opinion and just because you and I (and the rest of the HTF)disagree does not make him wrong. By the way to a bitter old man of 41 you definitely qualify as an angry young man at age 36. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by John O on November 08, 2001 at 10:32 AM]

12. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Mike- I agree with you completely, as I'm somewhat surprised (pleasantly, of course) by the slowly increasing number of mainstream programs broadcast in widescreen, not to mention the rapidly increasing number of commercials in widescreen. Hopefully, sooner or later everybody will realize that their entire TV doesn't HAVE to be filled with image to be watchable, and the presence of "black bars" doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with the television or the DVD.
    I'm hoping that P&S will increasingly become a relic of the past. P&S VHS is fine, but let's hope it doesn't become commonplace on DVD.
    SteveK

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I also will not buy anything but OAR - whether for myself or as a gift. If something like Cats & Dogs is only available as MAR at retail, then I'll choose another title as a gift or for myself. I won't subject others to panned and scanned films. I don't try to treat others any differently than I do myself.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

14. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

15. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...PBS has been doing widescreen for years...the NBC program UPRISING was in WS. And of course, the now perenial ST:Enterprise...and countless other programs.
    WS is starting to take off. I think we are seeing the last gasp of P&S, and within 3-4 years it will be, just like Mono recordings, HISTORY....
    Still, we have to be vigilant NOW, lest studios try to sneak out P&S only editions of matted, or widescreen films...
    [Edited last by Mark_TS on November 08, 2001 at 01:58 PM]

16. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I think his criticism of the person who didn't buy the P&S copy of Cats & Dogs was hypocritical and uncalled for. He says we should give people a choice then proceeds to trash someone for making the choice of not buying the P&S version. I guess if we are OAR fanatics then all those people who only go for P&S are non OAR fanatics.

17. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I don't understand the idea that parents want to buy their kids pan-and-scan versions of movies on DVD.
    I am a parent of a 4-year-old, and I've yet to hear him complain about the black bars on the Toy Story 1 & 2 DVD. In fact he first saw the original Toy Story on widescreen laserdisc.
    Other movies he's watched at home without so much as a peep out of him about the black bars:
    The Lion King on LD
    A Bugs Life in full 2.35:1 glory
    SW Episode 1 - the pod race part because he can play the N64 Star Wars Racer game.
    Lady and the Tramp in full 2.35:1 glory
    Tarzan
    ...off the top of my head
    And, he sees many of the movies that my wife and I watch as being in widesrceen. He actually sees it as something special that's on instead of regular TV. It's a movie.
    Joel
    [Edited last by Joel Fontenot on November 08, 2001 at 03:30 PM]

18. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I wish there wasn't a choice. I wish they would force people to get used to OAR. But, I guess their market research says differently. I guess they see that the MAR crowd would just stick with VHS if they had to deal with black bars.

19. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob