What's new

DVD Inventory Software (1 Viewer)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
First off I would like to apologize if there is already a thread devoted to this topic, I was unable to find it through the search. I'm sure I might have made a mistake.

Anyhow, I was looking for advice regarding personal DVD Inventory software. I've seen several on-line, and was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion as to what is the most effective. I have close to 1,000 discs, and I lone quite a few out, and would like a more accurate system than paper and pen.
Thank You,

Duane G

Auditioning
Yes, dvd profiler works very well.
And if you have a bar-code scanner you would only have to scan the cases and then dl from the database when done. It is free, though a Premium registration key is only $25, this disables the ad banner and enables hi-resolution cover images (front and back).

I think collectorz has a similar feature set, but costs about $40, and the free version is only a trial version.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I would use nothing else than DVD Profiler. It will catalog all your discs and it can keep track of what you loan out. It can do a lot of things for such a small program. I've tried Collectorz once and I hate it. With a passion. Fewer features for almost double the price? No dice. DVD Profiler can meet your needs and then some.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Another vote for DVD Profiler! :emoji_thumbsup: And the $25 dollar registration fee is not that much and helps support this great program!

John

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
If you use a Mac, I would highly recommend Delicious Library. It is a visually stunning program and works great with an iSight or other digital video camera to scan the bar codes of your collection. It pulls the information off of Amazon.com.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Slightly off-topic: Does anyone know if DVD Profiler will list HD-DVD/Blu Ray titles when they start hitting the shelves? It would be cool if you could list both your standard definition & high definition DVDs in one list IMO.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I use my own and DVD Profiler, just in case Profiler goes down, I don't want to have to start from scratch.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Hey that Delicious Library program looks sweet! Too bad Macs are way out of my price range. That MediaMan program looks similar, think I'll check it out instead (I hope it imports ;o).

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
media man is no longer free but it till is tempting at $29.95.
Anyone use it and no how hard it is to import other lists?
Nice to finally find something to add my albums & 45s

StevenFC

Second Unit
Well, since I have DVD Profiler I was looking to import that list to MediaMan. Currently there's no way to do it directly. However it can be done. Just do a search for DVD Profiler in their user forum. A user has created a little program that does a pretty good job of converting an XML list. It won't do everything but it did about 3/4 of my collection. Much better than entering all of my DVDs one at a time. You just need to copy and paste the UPCs.

Don't know about importing from other programs.

One thing I noticed about the images used for the virtual shelf is that they don't always match the images of the actual DVD case. So I had to replace a number of the images with my DVD Profiler images.

You may also need to edit some of the data for the movie entries as Amazon (what Mediaman uses for its info) doesn't have the most thorough info.

It also doesn't have an online feature like DVD Profiler, but apparently that's something that's in the works as well as an import feature.

It seems like the author is actively trying to make it better so it might be worth the $30 investment. It's a pretty cool catalogue program that shows potential for getting better. Plus of course it does other media besides DVDs. I'd say it looks like a nice program to use along side of your current DVD program.

StevenFC

Second Unit

Yeah, but if I'm buying a Mac, I'm going for the gusto. I'd have to buy the 20-inch iMac. Despite the fact that it apparently doesn't have a wired ethernet port, it still floats my boat. But it's just a little pricey for me right now.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Holy crap how did I miss that :confused: I guess I overlooked that. All I saw was the 56k. Cool beans. Of course I'm not sure what good 1000base-T would do me, but maybe by the time I can afford one, I'll be able to make use of it.

Thanks for setting me straight Ted! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks