DVD Infomercial

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy Wadian, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Jeremy Wadian

Sorry if this is off topic for this area. But NickSoune's post about the original DVDs got my memory going. Does anyone else remember the infomercials that were shown for DVD in 97? What manufacturer was it?

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I remember an infomercial about DVD, where they played up that you could watch different endings to movies, making them more interactive. They had this make-believe noir movie, with two separate endings. No idea who was behind it.

3. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I think it was done by Philips/Magnavox they were selling there dvd players @ the time with the infomercial this was in late 97'

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Aryn,

You hit it on the head. But if memory serves, it was an infomercial without a payoff... you couldn't buy them from the commercial, you had to look for them in stores.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

6. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I remember the first marketing info for DVDs really hyped the "interactivity" and parental control of DVDs.

I remmebered them saying that it would be possible to have branched versions of a movie where you could watch an R rated version and a PG rated cut where all the nudity and stuff could be edited out.

I also remember them really hyping the alternate angle feature. They made it sound like you could watch movies from different angles.

Don't get me wrong, I dont care that these things never made it to the mainstream, but its interesting to see how the product was marketed back then.