DVD help and experience, please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobHaymond, Apr 13, 2002.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

Feb 12, 2002
    I am close to finishing my remodeling which includes HT.

Equipment [so far]

Sony 38XBR450

Onkyo 989

Cambrige Soundworks MC300

Yoshiba Progressive Scan DVD

This is being installed in a wall with only the TV and speakers showing--Hot Spot allows hidden components. All in progress.

NOW: I'm sequential SOB so I have the TV hooked up to cable and using VCR [waiting on new TiVo's] but have not even tried the DVD. I don't have any DVD's. I got on the web tonight to look at some; Very bewildering!!! Looks like I'll like the prices at Half.com but questions arise. They have [what looks like] the same DVD's but different editions at a couple of $'s difference. I want wide screen when possible{and probably won't buy anything else]; what have yawl learned about how to spot the best issues[are they different?]. Any generalities greatly appreciated.

I have given heads-up to a collection of friends for an "AVIA party"! When things are totally hooked up and decorated, we'll smoke meat, drink to our mutual healths, and do the AVIA-sound meter bit.

We'll need beginning DVD's. For me, probabably

Outlaw Josey Wales

The Patriot
  2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Mar 3, 2002
    Try www.overstock.com for The Patriot - they have it for $ 10 and free shipping.
  3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Feb 25, 1999
    The best way to tell which version of a disc to get is to check the disc details. Generally you would want to get the one with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and widescreen. If one has DTS, that's a big plus as DTS, in my experience, tends to have a smoother high end than Dolby Digital.

Of the two discs you are thinking of the Patriot almost certainly has a better sound track, although The Oulaw Josey Wales is a way better movie. However the age of the film almost certainly means that the audio will not be as good.

You might do well to get some really bass heavy stuff such as "T2, The Ultimate Edition", "U571", "Fight Club". For great surround sound design I would suggest "Saving Private Ryan" which has the saving grace of being a really excellent movie. I also liked "The Thin Red Line", but many people have big problems with the movie itself (I happen to think it is a great movie...).