DVD & HDTV - Progressive DCDi vs Upconvert 480i

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy Haupfear, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Tommy Haupfear

Dec 31, 1998
    Just got my Tosh 50HDX82 and it appears this set will upconvert 480i sources to 540p. My question is will I see a "major" difference by upgrading my Yamaha DVD-C900GL DVD player to something like the new Yamaha DVD-C920 with it's progressive scan and Faroudja DCDi processor?
    I'm using component video (480i) currently and it looks very good but I hear good things about this Faroudja DCDi processor. I also hate that Yamaha no longer makes gold DVD players to match my bling bling DSP-A1 Integrated amp. [​IMG]
  2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    Someone else is asking virtually the same question in this thread; only the equipment is different. The question is asked routinely, and it's impossible to answer.
    A progressive scan player will usually create a superior image to an external line doubler, because the player generates its 480p output entirely in the digital domain, thereby saving several intervening stages of digital/analog conversion. Whether the difference is considered "major" is too subjective for anyone but you to evaluate. Line-doubling circuitry in newer sets (and in affordable units like the iScan Pro) has become very good, and some people claim to see little improvement with p/s players. Others see a major improvement. The only thing you can do is try it and judge for yourself.