DVD-HD941: feature or bug?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill Boom, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Bill Boom

Bill Boom Auditioning

I recently purchased a Samsung DVD-HD941, and it seems to have a flaw when fast forwarding or rewinding: The first speed (2x) works fine, but when I select 4X or 64X the scenes continue to jump ahead at 2x. The DVD is actually forwarding/reversing at 4X/64X, but it's impossible to gauge when to stop since the scenes are still being shown in 2x. (I.e., when I hit "stop" the movie resumes at a point much farther than the scene at which I stopped it.) I assume this is a bug in my particular unit, but first wanted to verify that this is not the behavior seen by other DVD-HD941 owners. Thanks much,

- Bill

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I think my DVD-HD950 does the same thing, although I can't see how you have determined images displayed are only moving forward at 2x rather than 64x but I sure can't get to the right place easily by using FF or REW. This shortcoming has been discussed before and I have no explanation for it. I guess if this behavior is described in the manual, then Samsung is aware of it, if not then it is correctly called a bug.

Chris

3. Bill Boom

Bill Boom Auditioning

Hmm, maybe I haven't explained it well enough but it's quite obvious when a movie is advancing at 2x vs 64x just by observing the images. Also it can be verified by the time displayed on the front panel.

Before purchasing I researched this player for days, both on this forum and the AVS forum, and didn't see any mention of a FF/RW problem. Guess I should've looked harder. At any rate, I suppose I'll call Samsung to see what they have to say about it.

- Bill