What's new

DVD/HD recorders and jpeg files (1 Viewer)

JonathanIbell

Auditioning
Hi there,

I'm in the market for a DVD/HD recorder, and am considering either the Pioneer 510 or, less likely, a Panasonic unit.

One thing I definitely want the unit to be able to do is display jpeg files from a cd rom; having done a fair bit of research I am unable to find out how these recorders (particularly the Pioneer) deal with such discs, so I was hoping someone on this forum could help me out.

The Pioneer unit is very new in this part of the world (New Zealand) - so much so I haven't even been able to find a unit to check this on.

My query is: do these recorders function like many DVD/CD players do when playing mp3 files, namely read more than one directory deep? If so, how many directories deep will they go? Or, alternatively, will all jpegs have to be within the single root directory?

I'd like to be able to place all my photos on CDs for archival purposes, AND to be able to view these via the recorder - however, I also require the ability to categorise the photos into relevant folders. I'm sick of trying to find VCD software that produces good quality images, stores the original images on the same disc, AND allows the user to flick from individual photos. Hence I'm hoping a DVD recorder can do this!

Many thanks if you're able to offer any advice.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I don't use Photo CDs. I find them redundant as I just use my computer to show pictures.

Also I don't use MP3s, or would I ever after hearing how they actually sound.:) I do understand they have their place as background music though.

Since I don't use either function, I can't help you on your question. You should really try AVSFORUM as the activity there is very high. I'm hoping this forum will pick up but it's new. I expect in time it will be as active, most people are members of both of these forums.

Have a good one.

Tel M

Auditioning
The Pioneer 3100/5100 can play jpeg picture files for certain, and from a look in the instructions you can have them in folders, although I cannot see any indication to suggest if you can have more than one directory deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.