DVD has cracked!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Will, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    This sucks but I just noticed that on my Final Fantasy DVD there are cracks and pieces of the plastic have chipped off around the hub. I haven't touched this DVD in over a year but bought a new TV and was playing with a bunch of old DVDs when I noticed it. I hope this doesn't start happening to all of my older DVDs. Has this happened to any one else?

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

It happened to my R4 copy of The Phantom Menace, but that's about it.

3. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

I had this happen to a Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition. Never since then.

4. jacob_A

jacob_A Auditioning

I've noticed that on some cases, the hub that holds the disc is super tight (I mean almost to the point of the disc being permanently attached to it!) & if i'm not careful when removing the disc it could certainly crack. I haven't tried, but maybe working the hub a little (without the disc in) might loosen it up a little. Other than that I've noticed some discs seems to have some kind of seperation occurring near the center. I'll have to check into my collection & see if there's some connection between cases/& or studios & which discs this is happening to.

5. Ben_@

Ben_@ Stunt Coordinator

this happened on my Bring It On DVD (stop laughing), but being that it doesn't effect playback on any of the players I've used, i'm not too worried about it. I would worry if the cracks ever got bigger, of course.

6. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

This happened to "Some Like It Hot" I borrowed from the library. I didn't even have time to open the case before I had to return it. Then they charged me $14 for a replacement because of tiny cracks around the center. Even though I didn't do the cracking, I paid with no problem, since it was a free public library. They gave me the DVD (unfortuately old unrestored version) and it plays fine.

7. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

If you have a tight hub, just take an cdr or some old CD that you never listen to anymore...Or if you are Ben_@, just use the Bring It On disc [​IMG]

Just put it on the hub, take it off...put it on...take it off and repeat...this will soften most hub´s, and your DVD will not be so tightly locked in

You´re welcome [​IMG]

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

If a hub is that tight on anything, CD or CDD, I usually break-off one of the little tines with needle nose pliars, and find it still holds the disk, but not to the extent of straining the disk.

BTW that anyone can make a DVD hub that doesn't work well tells me they are ultra stupid. They would probably make square wheels.

9. nicholas_g

nicholas_g Stunt Coordinator

I have had many cracked discs. Most of them are from my Star Trek TNG and DS9 collection. They have even come brand new with cracks. I have managed to get most of the discs replaced. It was due to poor packaging and the hubs that held the discs too tight. I have not rehomed the discs in amaray cases with custom covers.

My first cracked disc was R1 Blade II. The disc that was stored on the tray had cracked. Luckily, ages ago I decided to put the film disc on the hub at the back and the extras disc on the tray. I don't see myself watching the extras disc again. I do this with all my double amaray cases.

The new R2 Hellraiser Lament configuration boxset also suffers from discs cracking. Also some sets store the discs too loose and so they fall off the hubs and get scratched.

Here is a scan of one of my worst DS9 discs.

10. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I had some floaters in DVD screeners for FOX titles lately. I only had to clean disc one of Roswell season 2 and it still played fine. Oddly enough, the Day After Tomorrow disc was loose from it's tray. I didn't see any cracks in the DVD.

11. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

Do all of the DVDs you guys are talking about look like this?

I have a couple of DVDs that have tiny cracks from the center hubs that radiate outward, just a single thin line that's difficult to see. (Actually, they might not even be cracks, but they sort of look like.)

Just wondering if minor cracks are harmful to the DVD. Will they get worse, or eventually rot?

12. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

My TPM disc has less severe cracking, but it's distributed all over the circumference, not just one side.

13. nicholas_g

nicholas_g Stunt Coordinator

That one is my worst.

I also have some Star Trek ones that are marked. They look like small cracks but are marks presumably from the manufacturing process. If I look at the disc horizontally, the mark doesn't go through the plastic and is just on the top or bottom. I think it is the way the disc is held by a machine.

I also get small circular marks on the data side of the disc itself. There are four or five of the them in a row.

I think small cracks will get worse if the packaging isn't changed.