What's new

DVD going through RF and not s-video? (1 Viewer)

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
I have a dvd/vcr combo and it seems the dvd/vcr signals are all going through the coaxial "jumper" cable from the vcr/dvd out to the TV instead of the s-video cable that goes to my receiver and then to the TV with another S-video cable.

What made me think of this is thatnow i have to set my TV on channel 3 to watch a DVD where as before i needed to press TV/Video on the TV remote to switch to the s-video input. Can someone help rectify this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Please also see my "OSD problem" thread. Thanks

Danklin

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Noel. A question: “When you wrote ‘before’, that indicates something changed. What changed in your setup?

In the meantime, you might try running your S-Video output directly to your TV, just to see if you can learn anything additional. If that has no effect, try disconnecting the coax and see if there is any way to get the DVD to the TV via S-Video.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I take it you connected the audio cables from the DVD/VCR combo to the same input bank behind the receiver where you plugged in the S-video cable from the DVD/VCR combo. Then selecting the proper input at the receiver to get the audio should also select the S-video.

A small number of DVD/VCR combos need a manual selection (perhaps in a setup menu) to output S-video (instead of composite via the yellow jack) to a TV or receiver.

Finally the TV must not have anything, not even a loose cable, plugged into the yellow jack next to the S-video jack you are using.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel

Thank you for the welcome. Well the "before" thing meant before i connected my receiver, i remember having to press TV/Video to get the tv to the correct input(only 1 input besides tuner on this tv) to play DVD's. Right now i have to go to channel 3 and i believe its going through the coax cable which is poor quality. Do you think i should disconnect the s-video while a dvd is playing to varify this?

Also do i need a composite cable connected to the receiver for the VCR section of the combo player?

I have another HT setup with a different brand of receiver but that has a seperate DVD and VCR so i think the combination player is confusing me. Thanks for the help

Noel

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel

Hi Allan, thanks for the help. Yes i do have audio cables going to the VCR inputs of the receiver. Do i only need the S-video for both dvd and vcr? Right now i believe its bypassing the s-video and playing through the RF cable.

Thanks

Noel

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
UPDATE:

I have unplugged the yellow cable from the dvd/vcr and the receiver and am now able to get audio over my receiver for both dvd and vcr. However the S-video is still a problem. I disconnected the S-video during a DVD playback and found that it is indeed going through the coax cable. I still need a coax connection from the vcr to the tv to get my channels on the vcr, correct?

I apologize for making this so complicated. Thanks

Noel

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
What happens if you unplug all cables from everywhere to everything and then connect just the S-video cable and a pair of audio cables from your DVD/VCR unit directly to the TV?

As far as also using a composite cable, (in most cases) you may not have both S-video and composite cables going to the TV if it has just one set of audio input jacks.

jonny h

Agent
Have you tried hitting the TV/Video button? It sounds to me like you gave yourself two options (RF and S-video) and you're only looking at RF. Then again, I could be wrong... again.

As far as S-video being your only connection question... if you want to use the DVD/VCR combo to change TV channels then you only need the S-video. If you want to change channels with your TV, then you also need the RF.

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
Allan i havent tried connecting just the s-video to the tv yet but i will. I did find the book for the dvd=vcr combo and it told me how to enable the s-video jack on the unit. Still nothing. Im thinking its the connection going to the receiver. If i have up conversion enabled on the receiver, does this mean if i plug something into an s-video input then try to output from an s-video monitor out, it wont work because its upconverting it to component? I'd like to upconvert the vcr part to s-video as well so i'd like to keep upconversion on. Also the instructions say that in order to use the OSD(which is another problem) upconversion needs to be on.

Johnn h, yup i did press the tv-video button and ill i get is blue screen. I get sound from both the vcr and dvd but only with the composite audio attached to the receiver along with the optical cable.

Now im worried theres a problem with the receiver or my tv's s-video so ill try a straight connection and see how it goes.

jonny h

Agent
Danklin-

Did you ever get the OSD working on the receiver? Something that *could* be the problem is a bad S-video cable. I'd try DVD -> TV like you had it before. If that works, I'd try the other S-video cable in the same set up. If that works, I'd do one of two things... 1) don't connect video through the receiver or 2)try the receiver again... but I'd make for sure I had the cables going to the right place in the receiver. I can't tell you how many times I've stared frustrated at my TV set because I had a cable in the wrong plug. Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks