What's new

DVD Forum will select HD-DVD laser and spec in March...act NOW! (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I just thought of another reason to support 20x9 encoding.
There are lots of 4:3 HD-capable RPTV's on the market today that do a 16x9 squeeze mode preserving full resolution within the 16:9 windowbox.
Does it seem like such a great leap then to think that 16:9 RPTV's could do a 20x9 squeeze mode for 2.35:1 (20x9 encoded material)?
That would be a big segment of the HD market that could benefit from the extra resolution almost immediately if such tv's were manufactured.
I think most HDTV buyers would love not to have any resolution lost on 2.35:1 films, and it must be possible if it can be done now on 4:3 tv's with 16:9 material.
Sounds like a great feature for HD-DVD to implement to me. It could effect a lot more than the Front Projection crowd.
Now that I've thought about it I'd be seriously disappointed if it doesn't happen. Why waste resolution on black bars if you don't have to? Hopefully those in the DVD Forum have thought of this.

p.s. I sincerely apologize if somebody else made this same point earlier in the thread.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Grant.

You're 100% right. Any CRT 16x9 display could do a 20x9 squeeze and increase picture quality the same degree that we see on 4x3 sets with 16x9 sqeeze today.

digital display devices (pixel-based) that have greater than 1920 x 1080 resolution could also take advantage of 20x9 sources to increase PQ even if those displays are natively 16x9 in aspect ratio.

-dave

David Susilo

Screenwriter
DaViD, would you kindly explain to me how a fixed pixel system can have any advantage on 20:9 if they are not either using anamorphic lens? AFAIK, for fixed pixed (4:3 DLP DMD, for example), the 16:9 shown is not squeezed but only letterboxed.

Not that I oppose to the 20:9 enhanced.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey David,
It only would be an advantage for a fixed-pixel 16x9 display (w/out using an anamorphic lens) that had a *greater* vertical resolution than the standard 1080-line HD reslution (I made a reference in my thread to that).
Essentially, if a 16x9 display had a vertical resolution with 30% more pixels than 1080, it could make full use of the native 20x9 resolution signal.
Think of the way right now many xga 4x3 projectors gain resolution from a 16x9 DVD...since they have more pixels in the 16x9 window area than a 4x3 lxbed transfer...they can take advantage of the added resolution from the 16x9 signal.
One of the new hi-res LCOS projectors that has more than 1080 vertical would be able to take advantage of 20x9 without the need for an anamorphic lens (if it were already 16x9 aspect ratio).
dave :)

C

Chris*Liberti

Plus if they do go with Blu-ray whats to say that there will be no way to put a standard dvd into a caddy and have a 2nd laser in the player that would read DVD and redbook CD?

lardrell

Auditioning
:frowning: ok people lets not be stupid here.i read people saying way buy into d-vhs because it tape,who wants to go back to tape right.who want s to rewind and fast forward again right.wrong,if you are a real video pile you would not care you would just want the best format at the time.look at whats going on now,they want another beta vhs war with this blue and red laser.and agian we may end up with the inferior one the red laser.so you mean you would go out and buy a red laser because you don't want to have to rewind or because tapes don't last as long ass dvds.i brought to top hdtv set(53hs30 and xbr800)so i can watch my hdtv signal at its best.if the company's force red laser on us i will buy two d-vhs instead of a fake hd-dvd.i am buying one in two days not because i like it better than dvd i don't i want hd-dvd before anything but i will always have use for the d-vhs because it can record hdtv signals now and later.and i dont want to wait two year to get use of my tv sets.i my be able to record two hd-dvd movies on one d-vhs tape in the future with it being in full hd.how the hell does that sound.i hope both formats can make it together with hd-dvd being the first chioce.but if the companys push red laser go d-vhs and if they dont still buy one if you have the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks