DVD Forum picks the Toshiba/NEC blue laser spec for HD-DVD--merged thread.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    With 15Gb per layer (as apposed to 4Gb today) what resolution would be used 1080i or 720p? I guess much compression would have to be used still.

3. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    At least this would be better than Warner's red laser highly compressed standard. However, the blue-ray proposal was 23-27GB per layer.

My knee jerk reaction, assuming this comes to pass, is that this is a compromise and not the technically best solution for putting HD material on a disc.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

-Keith

4. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Well, backwards compatibility with existing pressing plants certainly brings us closer to the arrival of HD-DVD. They will be using MPEG-4, though most likely for improved compression, and not so much "more" compression. I believe this also includes a recordable format.
    I wasn't aware of the storage for Blu-ray, but I'm sure the larger capacity was due to the new hardware required. Four times the capacity of today's DVD's doesn't sound too bad, but then again, I'm not aware of the capacity requirements of HD, interlaced or progressive.
    I do have to say, however, that the "format war" hinted at in the article reminds me of my comments made in the DVD vs. D-VHS thread.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=102420
    HD-VHS is made only by JVC, and isn't threatened by committees trying to get every single royalty or patent included in the standard (i.e. 18 HDTV transmitting formats.) We already have 3 incompatible DVD-rewritable formats. What's going to happen with HD-DVD-RW?

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I've always wondered what the future of sound would hold for the forthcoming HD-DVD format. Will we, because of the extra space, be able to couple LPCM at 24/96 multi-channel for film soundtracks Or even 16/48 for that matter. We all know that DD/DTS were compromises, but will we still be using compressed sound for the new HD-DVD spec. One can only wonder.

Reg

6. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Well, I think it was obvious that the DVD Forum would choose the Toshiba blu-ray spec. This keeps HD-DVD:

1) Backwards compatible (in theory, at least) with existing players (so we won't have to buy new hardware to play new blu-ray discs).

2) HD-DVD will still be a "DVD" and fall under the DVD patent held by the Forum.

The downside is that this spec allows for less storage space on each disc, and MAY not hold longer HD movies. Of course, Toshiba has said that they have new compression technologies to get around this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The standard championed by Sony and others will have allow more room on each disc, thereby comfortably fitting HD movies. However, it won't be backwards compatible (the disc is encased in a cartridge that will necessitate a completely different transport). Also, the Sony camp has NOT been calling this a "DVD"--they consider it a completely different technology and one of their goals is to not have to pay licensing fees to the DVD patent holders any longer. This alone almost guaranteed that the DVD Forum would not pick their blu-ray standard.

So...I guess we'll have to wait and see who wins. As far as recordability goes, I don't know if I'd trust the DVD Forum to come up with some workable solution--just look at the mess we have with current recordable DVD formats! Sounds to me like it's a matter of picking our poison...

8. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

1-2-3-4, I declare a format war.[​IMG]
    Doesn't look like Sony will cave according to The Digital Bits, which means we now have 3 competing formats: D-VHS, Toshiba blue-laser spec, and Blue-Ray. At this rate, HD-DVD is doomed to die a slow, painful death.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

never mind, guess i am too late wit this

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

For some reason, I always merge threads in reverse. This thread combines threads in A/V Sources and here in Software.

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Ugh, what a mess. We already don't have a recordable DVD standard, which is why I have yet to buy a burner. Now they're going to play the same games with HD-DVD. End result? Everybody loses.

It's all a money game. The patent holder of the most widely used format rakes in the cash, and thus we have these silly turf wars. Drives me crazy.

12. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    The title of this thread is wrong. The truth is the exact opposite.

The DVD Forum is adopting the Toshiba/NEC blue laser HD-DVD proposal, which is NOT Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray is the competing Sony consortium format.

And if a compromise isn't reached before commercial production, we all lose. Why can't these companies figure out that the adoption of a single DVD format was key to its unprecedented success, and that they need to do the same with HD-DVD? Many consumers, even typical early adopters, will stay on the sidelines when there are competing formats because they don't want to end up on the losing side.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

15. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    A note of optimism is that the studios will be reluctant to back a non-backwards-compatible format, meaning that Sony Blu-Ray will be the odd format out. Of course, Sony's movie catalog will be Blu-Ray only, at least at first.

16. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

17. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Sorry about the topic confusion? I honestly did not know about the Sony format being called Blu-Ray and the Toshiba format being different. Sorry about that!
    Well since the format war has started do you think that the electronics manufactures will be able to off set the problem by creating players that will be able to play both? We are starting to see this in the DVD-Audio and SACD players.
    I know I would jump into the format war early if they made cheaper ($350-$500) players that played both formats.
    This really is killing me! First it is the Audio formats and then it is the connection format for HDTVs and now it is this! How can the public be educated enough to cause the money hungry people to stop and think about their customers?
    Oh well, this is the electronics industry! I realize it is a given that we have new technologies, but new technologies with selfish owners is something I don't like.
    Why can't we just create the holodeck from StarTrek and then actually be a part of the action? [​IMG]

18. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Why is there always a big format snafu when Sony is involved?

19. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Didn't realize it was Toshiba that was the "odd man out." If that's the case, then WHAT is the DVD forum? I was under the mistaken impression that it was comprised of manufacturers.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer