DVD formats?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sacha_C, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Are DVDs made in NTSC and PAL like video tapes? Could you play a DVD from europe in america?

Thanks

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes they are made in NTSC and PAL like videotapes, you need a region free and PAL to NTSC converting player to play them here

3. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

But DVDs are digital like MPEG files for example, and they dont need to be made NTSC or PAL. So how can DVDs be made in NTSC or PAL? My DVDs dont mention NTSC on them anywhere.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"Regardless of the coding, the output gets converted to a signal that your TV can handle."

Doesnt this mean all DVDs are in the same format and the DVD player converts it to the right format?

And why are there DVD zones 1 to 5 or whatever they're called?

Thanks

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

From the DVD FAQ (first question is about Region codes; scroll down to see the answer to the NTSC/PAL question):

9. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Sorry to drag out an old thread for what I am certain is a very newb-ish question, but in the above posts (and I have heard this elsewhere) I have heard that computers are usually all-region.

I have a Dell labtop and haven't yet invested in an all-region player, and next month I'm going to be in Europe, so my question is, should I be looking for a few DVDs that I can't find in the States? Can I be at all confident that when I bring it home, it will play alright on my labtop?

There are a few titles that I think I might grab (either the UK or French released of Lynch's Dune, for example). Thanks

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Your laptop has a very good chance of being able to play PAL format DVDs, but your laptop's DVD drive is region locked just like a standalone DVD player is. And the DVD player software is also region locked.

Therefore you'll need to run a small program in the background such as DVDRegionFree in order to overcome the region code problem.

Only then will you be a citizen of the world. (What kind of DVD player do you think the President of the U.S. has? A region locked one or one that can play anything? That's a rhetorical question of course.)

And remember, region codes are not laws, they are company policies - you don't have to respect them.

11. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Thanks, Will. I'm guessing a simply search'n'download of DVDRegionFree will get me started, then? Good news, thank you for the quick response! Cheers.