1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD forced advertising

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Scarrott, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Paul Scarrott

Paul Scarrott Auditioning

I have only just started using DVD's and am already being driven mad by adverts which lockout the front panel. I use a DVD-ROM drive and on a number of films I have found that it is impossible to skip past adverts and I often can't even accelerate them. I can put up with this first time around, but if i watch a film over 3 sittings then i have to sit for 5 minutes watching the trailers before i can fast-forward to where i want to be on the disc every time. Does anyone know of any way around this, or any software that stops the front panel being locked out???

If not, does anyone know of any groups lobbying the companies about this practice. I think it most unreasonable that we should pay for the privelidge of having to watch adverts!!!

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    Just curious, what discs are you having this problem with? I didn't buy The Sixth Sense because I knew about forced trailers in advance. I don't have a problem with previews that automatically start when the disc is played but I won't buy any title that disables the menu button.

3. Paul Scarrott

Well, the sixth sense was one of them. The other one that springs to mind was 'Lucky Break' which I rented recently (p.s., not very good). It made me watch the film four logo for about 45 seconds (everything except stop was disabled), the there were two trailers which i could accelerate through but not skip past, then another advert for The Guardian, before i got near the film. As i watched the film over three sittings, and my computer died on me once, i had to sit through all that 4 times. Really annoying. I would follow your idea of not buying DVD's with forced trailers but there is no way of knowing until you have bought it. Are there certain companies who do it and others that don't. Maybe i have been unlucky so far, i kinda assumed it was a very regular thing.

4. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

This is very problematic, but I don't think discs are done that way anymore. It was primarily Buena Vista that made forced trailers, but lots of people complained about it, and soon they made the trailers skippable. Fox and Universal also have trailers in front of their newer DVD's, but they're skippable too.

5. Paul Scarrott

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I had been considering returning to 'the dark side' of VHS, but now i know it's not that common i shall persevere!!!

6. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor