DVD for newbie Dad's Birthday - Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_L, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Paul_L

Paul_L Extra

Mar 15, 2001
    I am the home theater "guy" in my family, and my Mom and Dad are always coming over to watch new releases on my 56H80 Widescreen (they marvel at Private Ryan DTS). My dad is always in awe of the sound, picture, etc.
    Of course, being a child of the depression (and in this economy) he doesn't like spending money on what he would consider "luxury" items (he obviously doesn't have the "bug" like we do). I am slowly working on him, and he now understands the benefit of those "annoying black bars"! He has some old sony 4:3 Rear projection that is probably 6 years old (but don't worry, in time he will go to WS).
    His birthday is this week, and since I have been out of the DVD market for 6 months, I was wondering what would be a good unit under $300 that would provide him with growth that he will be experiencing (if I have anything to say about it) in his developing home theater system.
    My two choices so far are:
    Sony DVP-NS700P
    Toshiba SD-2200
    Thanks for your help.
    [Edited last by Paul_L on October 24, 2001 at 11:04 AM]
  2. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Feb 26, 2001
    Another player that has been getting great reviews here is the Panasonic DVD-RP56
    I think it can be had for about $230 at bestbuy.com and probably cheaper elsewhere.