What's new

DVD File's review of Pulp Fiction is up!! (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, very disappointing. Funny how Digital Bits' review is the complete opposite. Oh well. I will find out for myself next week.

Also, can someone please do a comparison between R1 and R0?

John Stockton

Second Unit
Yes it is very funny how different reviewers see completely different things.

I am hoping that DVDFile is wrong.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Wonder if the reviewer has disabled SVM on his TV.

Hey, wait, the link to Dan's bio is wrong. If it was Dan that reviewed it, then he's got a very nice projection system.

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is very funny how different reviewers see completely different things??
well, I'd like to know who is right because I've sent an e-mail to Todd Doogan from the digitalbits asking about the subtitles and he told there were no spanish but the dvdfile review shows the opposite and not to mention the triple AAA for audio and video. Anyway I'm picking up this ASAP.

Craig_T

Second Unit
I don't see what the fuss is about. The only negative mentioned was some video ringing in brightly lit scenes. The review said that the colors and skintones were excellent, brightness and contrast had great dynamic range, good shadow detail, etc, etc. Plus there are plenty of other very positive reviews out there. This is hardly a Reservoir Dogs Special Edition: Part Deux.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Well, I've read positive reviews of the video on both IGN and The Digital Bits. Though really, DVDFile's review isn't exactly lambasting the video; it says it's "respectable". But I haven't seen those specific problems reported anywhere else.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
BLAH! The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Pulp Fiction was shot with a 'soft' filter lens and is SUPPOSED to look washed out, blurry and lack detail.
Edge enhancement on the other hand... we'll see.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Pulp Fiction was shot with a 'soft' filter lens and is SUPPOSED to look washed out, blurry and lack detail.
The original DVD certainly looked like this, as did the laserdisc. But my Korean R0 DVD does not. There is a lot of detail I never knew this movie had. I can even see the wrinkles on Travolta's face. Also, it doesn't look anywhere near as washed out as the previous releases.

I'm assuming the new SE is the same as the Korean.

Jeff

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will have our official review up later
this evening.
I can tell you this. Pulp Fiction
looks damn good. The transfer is outstanding.
I saw no grain. I saw no video noise. Just
a pleasingly clean transfer.
Any softness or occasional blur is due to the
manner in which the movie was filmed.
Watch for my review tonight as I am still working
on the supplements.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry too much about the DVD File review. I'll echo "Captain" Ron's assessment that this new Pulp Fiction DVD looks great.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'd also love to see a comparison vs. the Korean disc which is a knockout transfer.

Jeff

Andy_MT

Second Unit
, I don't think that should be enough to knock 2 points(stars) off the video rating
are you serious ? ringing is about as obtrusive as it's gets. any transfer where it's been used liberally should have 2 points knocked off as default. especially as it's widely known how disliked this practice is. and while we're at, perhaps 2 points could be knocked off the engineers/technicians/deadbeats that thought it might be nice to make the picture on their 19 inch screen look a little bit sharper. grrrr!

Todd_B

Second Unit
I too am curious as to how the new disc's transfer holds up against the Korean one.
Amazement was what I felt when I first popped in the Korean disc. Great transfer :emoji_thumbsup:
Todd B

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeppelinDude93
Recent bookmarks