DVD File's Editorial on box art, and my own...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryEA, Apr 11, 2002.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

(Admins, please move this if you feel it should be placed in another section. I put it here because the topic comes up a lot. Thanks.)
    Hey gang,
    As somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to box art, but not one without the creative impulse, I'm taking this moment to applaud Peter Bracke's most recent editorial at DVD File.
    Mr. Bracke managed to talk about everyone of what I thought were biggest offenders in the last year. "Ocean's 11"? A beautiful poster cast aside. Unusually large heads? Oh yeah, we've seen a lot of those. Not since "The Green Mile" have I seen two of the most blunt uses of an actor's face.
    Finally, there is the art for the cult fave "Real Genius", which, by many accounts here at the the HTF, is "Really Stupid". Is it attractive? Will it make someone who has never seen the film want to buy it? Does Val shock himself in the film or is he in a sequel to Young Einstein?. The answers are "hell no", "in a long shot", "no" and "yes".
    Like many of you, I've been using Photoshop to do a studio's job - get the key art on the darn box. And sometimes, when the urge gets to me, I go out on my own, like Ric Easton's Star Trek cases (the word "wow" comes to mind), Zinema's Bond covers, or any one of the submissions at DVDCoverArt.
    Don't get me wrong - the film is what it's all about. If someone handed me a DVD with a restored copy of the original print of "Metropolis" in a paper bag, I'd be watching it right now. Perhaps I'm more of an idealist than perfectionist. Some box art that doesn't reflect the original posters are actually quite beautiful, like "Citizen Kane" and others.
    So my thanks to Mr. Bracke for your editorial, and to all of the fellow customizers who give a hoot enough to do it yourself. Bravo.
    -Gary

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I dunno, I just can't get worked up over this issue. Personally I have to agree that some choices are worse but I can't be bothered with the idea of redesigning the packaging.

Moreover, a lot of what I see people produce on these sites I find seems to be no real improvement...

I guess I must be in a minority because people flock to the threads with new cover art.

One thing I would suggest is, given the poularity of such amateur art, should there not be a section of the HTF devoted to hi-res storage of these.

Perhaps owners of Aussie WB titles could post the Amaray case covers to replace snappers for those that hate them, etc...

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'm also pretty sure that the Ocean's 11 DVD cover is the same as the release poster, as opposed to the teaser poster (which, while I initially loved it, has shrunk on me).

4. Anthony R

Anthony R Stunt Coordinator

Well, of course it isn't THAT big of a deal compared the content of the DVD itself, but it is at the very least a needless annoyance.

Although in general I think even poster art is often inferior nowadays. Whatever happened to the big "Gone With the Wind" style of big dramatic images? You'd think that would be more striking than static head shots. For example, compare the TPM and even AOTC (which is slightly better) poster art with the original ANH, ESB, and ROTJ poster art.