What's new

DVD File vs. Digital Bits - Round 2 - Dirty Harry Collection (1 Viewer)

Chris Stone

Agent
again DVD File more or less is disappointed with the video quality while Digital Bits gives it Grade A for the first four and a B+ for the last (ironically DVD File thought the last one had the best video quality - go figure)

who are we to trust I ask you ?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This is like asking whether you should given more credance to a review by Roger Ebert or by Leonard Maltin.
Each reviewer has their own tastes and styles, and will think differently about each film/DVD per their own metrics.
The differences in their equipment is also a factor where DVD's are concerned.
Don't concentrate so much on the 2 websites, but look at the NAMES on each review. If you see a name who you tend to agree with, then look for reviews by them (Alexandra DuPont is usually on-the-mark as far as I'm concerned). If you find yourself disagreeing with a critic often enough, then that's an indication, too: they HATE that new disc, so I'll run out and get it! ;)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
The differences in their equipment is also a factor where DVD's are concerned.
This simply cannot be stressed enough. My site openly accepts "alternate angle" reviews of titles, to give readers a wider view of titles for content and quality, with the equipment being a must-list piece. The differences people see is amazing.

Case in point, a recent release of Oh My Goddess looks great on any system using s-video or lower for connections, but on component it's filled with mass cross-coloration, causing reviewers to give it D level grades. Those running on lower end systems are giving it A level grades. Both are right though.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Alexandra DuPont.

Remember that name.

Youll be seeing much more of it in the future...

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Dave, the DuPont link looks interesting, I will check it out later tonight after I am stuff with turkey :), and your contribution to the latest sales info is very much appreciated.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Did I miss something?

I read through three reviews of Dupont.

Not once did I notice any mention of video or audio quality!

I would think that most people when they buy a DVD they already know if they want the movie or not. I would also think the items that would interest them the most would be the transfer quality and sound mix.

If I want movie reviews there are 100s of highly qualified critics out there. (The only opinions of movies I really trust are my own)

If I want to know how studio X did with title Y then I will read a technical review.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not once did I notice any mention of video or audio quality!
Mmmm. Good point. And that brings me back to the style of each reviewer being suited to the reader.

I myself want to be told, simply, "Great picture", "Terrible Picture", or somewhere in-between. I don't want everyone blathering on about the black levels or other details, unless there is one glaring point to be made about that specific disc. I don't want to read reviewers who always go on and on about such miniscule details.

That's me. I'm gonna put my flame-proof suit on, because everyone is about to "educate" me that there's no other reason to read a DVD "review" unless it goes into such detail.

When I invest in better HT equipment, I'll probably change my mind about how important these details are in a review.

In the meantime, let's agree to disagree, shall we?

Miss DuPont simply says what the picture and sound quality is overall, and leaves it at that. See the review for Die Hard as an example.

She goes waaay too much into plots, I agree with that. Sometimes this is good, because maybe it helps me decide whether or not to take a chance on a film I otherwise had no interest in. But, often enough, I know whether or not I want to own the film. Like with Die Hard.

What I LIKE about her reviews is how she goes into detail about the execution of the extras on the disc. Again, we go back to Die Hard as the example. She gives a quick overview of what each supplement tries to accomplish, and whether or not it did it well.

Most importantly, I come away from her reviews with a sense of whether she does or doesn't like the disc. Since I know I tend to agree with her, I get a feeling as to how much money I'm willing to put into the item to own it, if at all.

Overall, she delivers what *I* want in a review. Each of you should find someone who delivers what *YOU* want in a review.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I myself want to be told, simply, "Great picture", "Terrible Picture", or somewhere in-between.
The only problem I have with getting these type of responses is that my interpretation of the words "great" and "terrible" may be different than that of the reviewer. I am one that if I got that type of response my next question would be, "Why did you consider it great (or terrible)?" Some of these problems may not be that big of a deal to someone else or vice versa.

Brett B.

bill lopez

Second Unit
I have already watched all the DIRTY HARRY dvds and they look really good. Only in the opening credits of DIRTY HARRY

do you see like film dirt. I give all 5 dvds a "B" for video. And on MAGNUM FORCE & THE ENFORCER a "B+" for sound.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
In the meantime, let's agree to disagree, shall we?
David - By no means do we have to agree but the post originator complains about the differences in opinion between the two sites when it comes to video quality. You then even make a comment on equipment differences (which I agree with).

Then you point to a reviewer that doesn't even bother to comment on the technical aspects of a disc? This is a reviewer that is "spot on"?

This is what is puzzling to me.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I look for on DVD reviews is the video and audio quality. In fact, I don't bother reading anything else (other than what equip. he's using).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brett & Chris, the key here is that I read her reviews of discs I bought anyway or already owned, and found out that her idea of "good picture" agreed with mine. Her idea of "bad sound" agreed with mine. Her idea of "stupid supplement" agreed with mine.

I didn't NEED the details. If she and I both think it's good, bad, stupid, or whatever, the reasons why each of us came up with that opinion don't really matter, do they? We're both in the same place. A difference which makes no difference, IS no difference.

So I figured I could generally trust her on things I didn't own or generally wasn't planning to buy. She didn't make up my mind for me - no critic should - but it's a voice out there that I can trust. If she says it sucks, then I should think twice about it. Or - if I really feel like I gotta have it anyway - maybe I wait until some sort of markdown.

Read her reveiw of the PotA TV Series. This is something I was gonna get day-and-date, because I have fond memories of the show. She gives the whole thing 1½ stars. Mostly due to the hokiness of the stories themselves, but also due to the transfers (she doesn't say anything but "How's the DVD edition?: Bare-bones, unsurprisingly. Picture quality varies wildly — from near-mint to fleck-tastic."; this info is enough for me to double-check, and see that other reviews agree with this).

So I waited on the box set. I might pick it up tomorrow during Best Buy's "15% off all collector sets" deal, but if it doesn't happen I won't feel bad. I'll nab it after the first markdown occurs. $33.99 (the BB 15% off deal) is only a couple $'s saving on the Costco everyday price of $35.99 (assuming my local one gets it in), so maybe I now feel that this is more like a $25 value, eh? Depends on how much I can stand to wait to watch the episode again with this line:

General Urko (trying to grasp the concept of brainwashing): "How can you wash the brain if you don't take it out of the skull?!"

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I don't make OR not make a purchase based on a review. That's plain stupid.

I use it as input, nothing more.

I give up with this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks