DVD File vs. Digital Bits - Round 2 - Dirty Harry Collection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Stone, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Chris Stone

Chris Stone Agent

again DVD File more or less is disappointed with the video quality while Digital Bits gives it Grade A for the first four and a B+ for the last (ironically DVD File thought the last one had the best video quality - go figure)

who are we to trust I ask you ?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This is like asking whether you should given more credance to a review by Roger Ebert or by Leonard Maltin.
    Each reviewer has their own tastes and styles, and will think differently about each film/DVD per their own metrics.
    The differences in their equipment is also a factor where DVD's are concerned.
    Don't concentrate so much on the 2 websites, but look at the NAMES on each review. If you see a name who you tend to agree with, then look for reviews by them (Alexandra DuPont is usually on-the-mark as far as I'm concerned). If you find yourself disagreeing with a critic often enough, then that's an indication, too: they HATE that new disc, so I'll run out and get it! [​IMG]

3. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Alexandra DuPont.

Remember that name.

Youll be seeing much more of it in the future...

5. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Where do I find reviews by Alexandra DuPont?

6. David Lambert

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Dave, the DuPont link looks interesting, I will check it out later tonight after I am stuff with turkey [​IMG], and your contribution to the latest sales info is very much appreciated.

8. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Did I miss something?

I read through three reviews of Dupont.

Not once did I notice any mention of video or audio quality!

I would think that most people when they buy a DVD they already know if they want the movie or not. I would also think the items that would interest them the most would be the transfer quality and sound mix.

If I want movie reviews there are 100s of highly qualified critics out there. (The only opinions of movies I really trust are my own)

If I want to know how studio X did with title Y then I will read a technical review.

9. David Lambert

10. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

11. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I have already watched all the DIRTY HARRY dvds and they look really good. Only in the opening credits of DIRTY HARRY

do you see like film dirt. I give all 5 dvds a "B" for video. And on MAGNUM FORCE & THE ENFORCER a "B+" for sound.

12. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The only thing I look for on DVD reviews is the video and audio quality. In fact, I don't bother reading anything else (other than what equip. he's using).

14. David Lambert

Brett & Chris, the key here is that I read her reviews of discs I bought anyway or already owned, and found out that her idea of "good picture" agreed with mine. Her idea of "bad sound" agreed with mine. Her idea of "stupid supplement" agreed with mine.

I didn't NEED the details. If she and I both think it's good, bad, stupid, or whatever, the reasons why each of us came up with that opinion don't really matter, do they? We're both in the same place. A difference which makes no difference, IS no difference.

So I figured I could generally trust her on things I didn't own or generally wasn't planning to buy. She didn't make up my mind for me - no critic should - but it's a voice out there that I can trust. If she says it sucks, then I should think twice about it. Or - if I really feel like I gotta have it anyway - maybe I wait until some sort of markdown.

Read her reveiw of the PotA TV Series. This is something I was gonna get day-and-date, because I have fond memories of the show. She gives the whole thing 1½ stars. Mostly due to the hokiness of the stories themselves, but also due to the transfers (she doesn't say anything but "How's the DVD edition?: Bare-bones, unsurprisingly. Picture quality varies wildly — from near-mint to fleck-tastic."; this info is enough for me to double-check, and see that other reviews agree with this).

So I waited on the box set. I might pick it up tomorrow during Best Buy's "15% off all collector sets" deal, but if it doesn't happen I won't feel bad. I'll nab it after the first markdown occurs. $33.99 (the BB 15% off deal) is only a couple $'s saving on the Costco everyday price of $35.99 (assuming my local one gets it in), so maybe I now feel that this is more like a $25 value, eh? Depends on how much I can stand to wait to watch the episode again with this line:

15. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

16. David Lambert

I don't make OR not make a purchase based on a review. That's plain stupid.

I use it as input, nothing more.

I give up with this thread.