1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD File Predicts Fullscreen Preference

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    In their report of the numbers New line has stated for shipping of LOTR. It's shows that target and Walmart ordered more P&S Vs WS (No Surprise there) but they're predicting based on the overall numbers that the important male demographic is heading more toward fullscreen purchases.

I still gotta think these numbers are misleading. If the vast majority of this demographic are shopping in a location like the above that either do not offer WS, or stick it on the bottom of the shelf. Then once again it's a selp fufilling prophecy.

2. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I was at Walmart and was looking at DVDs on the new release shelf, and a guy there looking at LotR turned around and asked if I saw it. I told him it was fantastic, but I saw him picking up the full screen version (which there were 5 layers of and only 1 layer of widescreen.. go figure), and said you probably want this one, handing him the widescreen.
    He asked what the difference was, I looked at the back of the packaging and there was NO COMPARISON! So, I explained the difference, and he was happy to now understand.

Yet another example of why Full Screen outsells widescreen, the public just DOESNT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!
    This will keep happening until some sort of education campaign by the studios starts.

Anyway, 1 less Joe6Pack in our midst!

Chris.

3. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Best Buy in my area clearly had more full (ahem, fool) screen versions than wide...

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I was in Best Buy the other day and they only had full screen copies of LOTR. All of the widescreen copies were sold out! Maybe there's still hope.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thank God that Futureshop sells a decent amount of widescreen copies, of all of their movies for that matter. That may change perhaps when Best Buy takes them all over?

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Neil: Best Buy has a vested interest in widescreen. While it varies from store to store, Best Buy generally (in my experience) buys more widescreen than fullscreen. Usually when there's more of the latter than the former, it's because the widescreen's been selling away.

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

8. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Is it up to individual stores to determine how many copies of each version they will order?

9. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

There are three Best Buys nearby and all three are almost completely sold out of widescreen LOTR with tons of fullscreen copies just collecting dust on the shelves.

10. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

At my store (Circuit City), we had over 600 copies of WS and only 130 or so FF. I'm a proud to say that with mid-week reshipments, we NEVER ran out of WS and have sold VERY few FF! WOOHOO!!!!!

As for DVD File's prediction, I have to give a great big dose of HELL NO! Just wait, when these TV's switch to widescreen all of the full frame ruffions will be running back to the stores to get their WS versions!

11. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I just got back from Wal-Mart. They had all full screen in the front of the store. Back where all the DVDs are, I saw all Full Screen, and one Widescreen. However, I looked behind the full screen piles. About 4 full screens back, low and behold, WIDESCREEN!!!!! THEY WERE COVERING UP ALL OF THE WIDESCREENS WITH FULL SCREEN!!!!!! The Wal-Mart I go to used to be good about having both editions, and having them easy to get, but this is an outrage!!!! Needless to say, I fixed that problem [​IMG]. I also saw at least 20 full screen copies of showtime, and none, that's right, Z-E-R-O copies of widescreen. I asked the guy there why that is and he said, with that trademark Wal-Mart dull face, "I don't know." That is the first time I have seen all Full Screen in that Wal-Mart.

12. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

My local Sam's had only P&S versions of Showtime. Even though I hadn't been really sure I was going to buy this movie, I bought the widescreen version at Circuit City. If Sam's keeps this garbage up, I'll have to drop my membership (and tell them why.)

13. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

14. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

If the directors had any balls, they'd request that
    the studios issue only correct format versions
    of their films. I simply can't believe some trailer trash
    would be so pathetic as to not watch the movie if it
    were available only in WS.

15. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

there's an easy way to solve this just release DVDs as DVD-18s dual sided and dual layerwd and put both formats on the same discs, then the people who care about moviesas welll as the J6Ps would all be happy

16. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

RichardMA, I believe that the Wachowski brothers did not allow a full screen version of The Matrix. I remember hearing that WB wanted to do it, but the Wachowskis wouldn't let them.

17. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

I think you have to look at who shops at which stores.

Wal-Mart & Target probably see's more families and J6P's. Since these people prefer full screen over widescreen that's why these stores prefer to carry more pan and scan versions.

Where as Best Buy, Circuit City and other similar stores customers are teenagers or people that understand widescreen, therefore these stores stock widescreen over pan and scan.

It's simply that the stores are catering to the needs or wants of their customers. Thes best way to show these stores what you prefer is either to speak up or spend your money at a store that caters to your needs.

18. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    It's all in the naming!
    "Fullscreen"
    think about it? Full - Screen. As in, "Full", complete, everything, Full as in not empty, full as in you better stop pumping gass before you make a mess of yourself. Full as in you better stop eating turkey or you'll have a bad day-after-thanksgiving. Full as in Full of crap... probably the only true thing "Full" about fullscreen.
    Nowhere but DVD's, does the word "Full" refer to something that is "Incomplete". Most people will think, "Fullscreen? why wouldn't I want FULL screen? what else would I have? HALF screen? Empty screen? 2/3rds screen?"
    *Sigh*. There is no hope.
    I have been known to become violent if someone complains that a widescreen DVD "Cuts off the top and bottom of the movie!". HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Here is the actual quote from the article -- close to half of all DVDs ordered by retailers were full frame.
    "The studio placed total initial shipments at 65 percent DVD to 35 percent for the VHS, and 54 percent of total DVDs shipped widescreen, versus 46 percent pan & scan. Further sources indicate that more mainstream mass merchants, such as Wal-Mart and Target, made for a disproportionate number of the pan & scan shipments, compared to the more "high-end" retailers, such as Tower Records, which reported a sales ratio of 8 to 1 in favor of widescreen.
    "From these numbers it is clear that there is no denying that pan & scan has become a highly-requested DVD feature for retailers, if not consumers. But the numbers are also doubly surprising (and likely troubling to many) for a title that most previously predicted would skew heavily towards a demographic (mostly males 18-to-34) that already favors widescreen. So with a preference for widescreen versus pan & scan likely approaching the halfway mark, is it only a matter of time until the DVD format becomes even more mainstream and "full frame" becomes the preferred method of viewing for the majority? We can still hope not... but stay tuned."

20. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I don't think the numbers shipped to retailers are what we should be looking at. It's sell-through that matters. How many of each were actually purchased?

I picked up LOTR at Best Buy on release day. The display case at the front of the store was filled with full screens (morons), but it looked like only a few copies had been sold. Further back was a second display with mostly widescreen copies, many of which had been sold.

If almost half of the copies ordered by retailers were full screen, but they're left to rot on the shelves, that's a good thing. Unfortunately, if the studios use their shipping numbers rather than sell-through numbers to gauge consumer demand, they're leaving it up to the intelligence of the retailers to determine what the public wants. Anyone who has tried to find a copy of Time After Time at Best Buy over the last two weeks knows that they don't know what the hell we want.