What's new

DVD Etc Poll: List Your Favorite Demo Selection (2 Viewers)

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
As far as video is concerned, what impresses me most is how good "older" films can look on DVD. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Special Edition, and Saturday Night Fever look like new releases. The colors, the detail, and the lack of blemishes is amazing.

On the audio side of things, nothing comes close to Saving Private Ryan - DTS. However, due to it's graphic nature, it doesn't make the best demo.

Some of my personal favorite demo scenes (audio/video combination) are:

The Rock - Criterion: the chase scene through the streets of S.F.

The Fifth Element : Lulu's incarnation and escape.

Matrix : the "lobby" scene

The Lord of the Rings - FOTR : the death of Sauron

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
Star Wars EPII is going to be my new #1 reference material DVD. The speeder chase, and the seismic charges rock my house.
The Mummy (1999)
Its one of my all-time favorites and face made out of sand chasing the plane, the attack on the boat, and the use of the musical score.
Swordfish
For the opening explosions and the car chase at night. Its one of the best sounding WB DVD's next to Driven

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
Tomorrow Never Dies, pre-credit sequence. When CSA Audio demoed my soon-to-be-purchased Marantz SR-18, this is what they showcased. The sound mix ranges from very quiet scenes to furniture-destroying bass attacks.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
If you're talking about a scene to demo how good a DVD can be, try Chapter 1 from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

The very high dynamic range of that sequence really gives your amplifiers and speakers a major workout.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I agree with all of the above:) I would like to add Ronin's "Chase to die for" Very few people have seen this movie and they are astounded by one of the best car chase ever filmed. Makes Boune Identity chase scene look like a child's play.

FredCampbell

Agent
For sound, I usually use the opening battle sequesnce from SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. For picture, I like to use the ice age sequence from A.I.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
The opening sequence of Toy Story 2 is also my standard demo. The reflection in glass faceshield on Buzz's helmet just looks amazing on my 65" Mits. However, I'm debating on Attack of the Clones now, especially with the THX bit at the beginning with the rain. That just sounds amazing at high volume. The thing I still like about Toy Story 2, is that it fills my entire 16x9 screen (I don't care personally, but for a demo it just looks better), and the colors are very vivid and bright.

Brian Sallot

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
My choices are..

Episode 2 for picture, digital to digital is hard to beat.
Toy Story 2 for sound, the opening sound mix is amazing.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
DTS intro with the flying disc, u571 demo on DTS Demo #5, Fox dvd demo vo1. 1, Widescreen review DTS trailers demo vol. 1.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
SPR-DTS - Opening beach scene
The Matrix - Lobby Shootout/Rooftop
Toy Story 2 - Opening Scene

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Family Friendly demos are important to me so that I can show anybody (including kids) how impressive a movie scene can be. The Toy Story 2 intro is standard for me (if I have to pick one :)), but I second the scenes from Iron Giant (The Giant Sits down, Train Wreck, and The Giant shoots a green ball at the Naval Destroyer), Atlantis (intro.), and Monsters, Inc. (Boo laughs, Decontaminating Harryhausen's, CDA/Sock). As far as what the DVD format is capable of, the Snow White: Platinum Edition is also a very nice set, restoring this classic to a condition that it deserves.
Some other great ones are either too gory (The Patriot w/ Mel Gibson where he and his two sons rescue his oldest son - great use of directional surrounds) or too emotional (Saving Private Ryan - storming the beach) to work as Demo material, as far as I'm concerned.
JKS

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I think Blade II has one of the best pictures and sound quality in a movie.

Or course, Star Wars Ep II is no slouch.

Lord of the Ring Extended in DTS is very impressive.

And let's not forget Saving Private Ryan in DTS, wow.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Jurassic Park 1 - T. Rex scene
Fight Club - Plane crash sequence
LoTR - Cave Troll/Balrog sequence
Episode 1 - Pod race
Anything off the Diana Krall concert dvd (in DTS)

We Were Soldiers - I can't name any specific scene, but wow did it rock the house yesterday. I thought the video quality was awesome compared to some reviews I had read.

The Haunting (DTS) - Bump in the Night. Bass to the next level on this one. Aye carumba!

My #1: Titan AE - Ice Field Scene. Absolutely crushing bass and immaculate video quality. Doesn't get any better then this.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I'm gonna have to go with the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan for sound as my number 1 demo scene, followed closely by The Lobby Shootout in The Matrix and a new addition of Balrog scene in Fellowship of the Rings (Extended Version)
For video, I'm gonna say that Monsters Inc. is probably better to me than Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, but not by much...
These are my opinions and just my opinions. Your results my vary:)!

Declan

Second Unit
for sound i'd go for the Laserdisc verson of Saving Private ryan (may be a bit controversal;) ) but had a lend of a friends DTS version and... yes, I have to agree that it's amazing but the laserdisc just edges it.
other sound demos would be:
Air force 1, really amazing this one. Chapter 7 when the F-15's blast around your head is great.
Matrix, guess which bit:D
Pearl Harbor, Battle of Britain (where affleck shoots the tail of a German fighter and it travels down the left side of the room from the centre channel to the rear left, awesome), also all of the bombing, which is incredible and the shootout near the end after they crash the bomber.
Fast And The Furious, one long demo. period
Speed DTS, love the sense of space in bomb in the lift sequence in the opening 15 mins.
LOTR DTS, was that a speaker turning to sawdust i hear. Fantastic and subtle imaging between channels, backed up by a monster LFE.
Rock Criterion DD5.1 track, better than the laserdisc 5.1 and the DTS track on the criterion, this is a great powerhouse track.
Crimson Tide LD DD5.1, grteat use of the rears and stunning bass
Broken Arrow LD DD5.1, the Dolby Digital track is outstanding and extremely powerful, would'nt mind hearing the DTS version. Is Fox going to bring out a 5-Star version?
Twister LD DD5.1, would love to hear the DTS track on the SpEd DVD but this track on the laserdisc sounds "alive", if thats a good way of describing it.
Armageddon LD DD5.1, again would'nt mind hearing the DTS mix (on either the LD or Jap r2 DVD) although i found this better than the Criterion DVD, with more powerfull bass.
Jurassic Park DVD. Again (repeating myself here:D) would love to hear the LD DTS mix as well as the re-mastered DTS mix on the DVD, but the DD5.1 on the UK R2 DVD is great for surround effects like the t-rex breathing from behind when pushing the Ford Explorer over the cliff.
We Were Soldiers, fastastic use of the speakers, check out the "broken arrow" sequence for some great 360 degree effects.
Star Wars Ep1 and 2
Pod race and Clone wars.......awesome
lastly........
Toy Story 2, Ice Age, Titan A.E; Atlantis and Monsters Inc.
Great animated movies and all with great 5.1 tracks (Monsters Inc r2 has a great DTS track, although i found there to be little difference between it and the DD5.1 version, but the DTS track sounded just a little cleaner)
Great opening scenes on Atlantis, Ice Age (with the ice cracking across the soundstage) and Toy Story 2. The ice sequence in Ice Age is great although i have only heard the DD5.1 off the R2, but (again:D) would love to hear the DTS track on the r1.
PICTURE:
(this is gonna be a quick list as i am more of a sound guy)
LOTR Ex, more smooth and flimic looking than the theatrical version.
Ep2, digital to digital
Armageddon criterion and Abyss SpEd, both may be non-anamorphic but jesus they look good.
Ice age.
Monsters inc.
The Pledge r2. Great clear image which shows off the fantastic cinematography.
thats all off the top of my head as far as the picture votes go, sure there is more.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
At work I use the begining of Chapter 15 (depth charged)
of U571 DVD. This is a good demo because it covers alot of different hometheater essentials. It has surround activity with the depth charges being dropped into the water, subwoofer response to the depth charges exploding plus the claustraphobic ambience of the dialog inside the sub as they wait to be depth charged again. When the major explosions from the depth charges happens I always make sure to stop the clip just before this sequence is over. For anyone who has not seen the movie it leaves them wanting to know what happens ;)

Declan

Second Unit
tease:D
forgot about that one...........also the beginning of Pitch black in DTS as the ship is forced to crash land.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Picture and Sound: LOTR:EE (DTS)

Prologue. What can you say but "Wow!"

Introduction to Hobbiton, Frodo and Galdalf. Doesn't blow you away but gives you a feeling for how subtle and lifelike DTS sound can be.

Council of Elrond: Gandalf reciting the ring spell literally shakes the room.

Music:
Diana Krall in Paris: the DTS mix makes Eagles: Hell Freezes Over seem almost timid.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Saving Private Ryan - Omaha Beach Invasion
and
Pearl Harbor - Attack on Pearl Harbor sequence

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks