What's new

Dvd Etc. Magazine Poll: All Members Please Respond (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
The Simpsons Season 1 - The Simpsons is one of the best shows on television right now. You can take a look back at how they started with this 3 DVD set. It has lots of extras for each episode and is packaged very nicely.

Fight Club - Great picture, great sound, great movie. This is one of my favorite movies, and the DVD has done the theatrical release justice. It also comes with an interesting extras disc.

Jurassic Park Collector's Edition - This is perhaps THE demo disc next to The Matrix. Go to the scene where the

T-rex breaks out and feel the room shake! The cast is top notch and the special effects still hold up today. An all around great DVD.

Ryan Muldoon

Auditioning
1. Fight Club - Excellent movie, great audio and video, and amazingly good commentary
2. Unbreakable - Excellent movie, cool use of multi-angle features with the train station scene bonus
3. Godfather Collection - Amazing movies, great extras

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Superman: The Movie- Great movie; excellent restoration work for video and sound.
Independence Day- Good movie; very good picture and sound.
The Godfather Trilogy- First two movies were phenomenal; good restoration and extras.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
1. Citizen Kane -- the best movie ever made with great commentary by Roger Ebert and Peter Bogdonovich and loaded with supplements on disc 2.

2. Terminator 2 -- Seamless branching allows you to see three different versions of the movie

3. Saving Private Ryan -- great movie with a great 5.1 sound.

P.S. This is really difficult just choosing 3 DVDs.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
1. The Matrix

- Absolutely the must have demonstration DVD

2. Citizen Kane

- The best video transfer of 2001

3. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

- The best audio mix of 2001

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
I have many dvds and films I prefer, but all round great buys are:
Fantasia Boxset
Godfather Boxset
Die Hard Ultimate Collection

KevinMcL

Agent
1) Crouching tiger, Hidden Dragon(SuperBit) : Stunning picture and sound quality

2) Matrix (same as above) the classic DVD to show off to friends.

3) Star Wars- Episode 1 (same as both above)

Greg W L

Agent
1. Citizen Kane: Considered by many to be the best movie ever, and here it is given great respect with a great transfer, super packaging and wonderful extras. The Roger Ebert commentary alone is worth the price.

2. Shrek: A joy for the kids and the adults. Great digital to digital transfer, super animation, great sound and a wonderful movie.

3. Eagles: Hell Freezes Over: You need a music DVD, and this is one of the best...the sound is great, the visuals tie it all together, and it is in DTS!

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
#3 Se7en (New Line Platinum) Best meld of film and DVD quality. Highest video quality of a non-animated film with added bonus of dts-es and DD EX surround sound.
#2 Toy Story: The Ultimate Toy Box Informative extras, compelling commentary tracks and unbeatable family fun all stuffed into one toy box (oh, and it looks and sounds amazing as well).
#1 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace Reason 1: includes the best "Making-of" I've ever watched. Reason 2: contains one of the best commentary tracks I've ever listened to. Reason 3: best... surround track... ever... Reason 4: STAR WARS! Reason 5: it's $100 less than the Japanese LD.
Pieter

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
Toy Story Toy Box--Great Transfers, Great Extras, done by people who care a lot about dvd presentation.

Gladiator--Again, good looking Disc, Many extras.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace--Looks Great, Sounds Great, Great Extras.

1: 5th Element (superbit)- Best Transfer and Sound

2: The Matrix - The best demo disk and must have dvd

3: Toy Story Ultimate Toy box - Best all around dvd pack.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
1. A Bug's Life from Pixar (The absolute best video of any DVD as there are NO artifacts of any knid on the transfer).

2. Toy Story - The Ultimate Toy Box (Great disks for showing off anamorphic squeeze and outstanding extras)

3. Disney's Dinosaur - The best blend of actual ourdoor scenes on film mixed with digital animation that is seemless and the best sound mix to test your speakers out with (asteriod hitting earth and the aftermath)

Runner's up are Shrek and Moulin Rouge - Both of which are excellent movies in video and audio and are great entertainment as well.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace: Fun movie, packed with extras.

Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition: Film school in a box, so much detail shows what DVD is capable of. DD and DTS soundtrack, seamless branching

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves: Platinum Edition: Interactive; cleaned up video; classic film

Art Brodeur

Auditioning
The Matrix: Was my first dvd played on my Pioneer 610 hdtv in surround and it amazed the me and the family.

Gladiator: Great video,great sound,great movie.

The Fifth Element(SuperBit):My personal favorite and in SuperBit=SuperAudio,SuperVideo.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
1. The Matrix: This is the movie that showed me what DVD and home theater in general was all about. Great video and awsome audio quality with endless bonus material.
2. Air Force One: If you want to convince yourself that Dolby Digital 5.1 (and above) is the way to go and that Dolby Prologic (and below) is a thing of the past, this is one soundtrack you have to listen. Incredible!
3. Toy Story 1 and 2: The video quality on these movies will make your jaw hit the floor. The audio quality on these movies will bring a "I just had sex" stupid smile to your face.

I'd like to put in a vote for my favourite DVD's that I've seen so far.

1. Fight Club - a great film with interesting, relevant extra material. I always get excited on seeing a huge amount of material on a disc, but quality matters more than quantity.

2.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - an example of how good an old film can be made to look and sound - plus a deceased person on a commentary track (I hear dead people!)

3. Battle Royale - Chosen as a plea to get people to release it in the US (However is available as a Region 0 PAL DVD by Tartan Video - TVD3353), but also to show how great but little seen films can be made available by more people on this format (and is the type of film that benefits the most from behind the scenes information). It also shows that you don't need extra features when the film is great (although they wouldn't go amiss!)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Atlantis:The Lost Empire A great effort from Disney that will blow your speakers and wow you with great video of this nice story of the grandson of a great exploxer who try to find Atlantis and finds more waiting for him.
Moulin Rouge A great movie that dares to be different and wins with great soundtrack on this piece of art of a film.
Se7en A thriller that stars Brad Pit, Morgan Freeman, and a surprize guest in a deadly game of a killer trying to kill anyone who breaks the seven deadly sins. Includes a great transfer and a very good soundtrack.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Fight Club - Phenomenal movie delivered in one of the finest DVD packages ever produced. Numerous commentary tracks and extra features give the fan a truly all-encompassing look at one of the most fascinating films of the past 25 years.
Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box - A wonderful set containing several hours worth of entertaining goodies, plus both the original Toy Story and its sequel are ridiculously FUN family movies.
Brazil Criterion Collection - In my opinion, the best DVD set ever produced. Included is the full director's version, the sloppily edited "Love Conquers All" version, and some of the most fascinating extra features you'll ever see. For those interested in how a Hollywood production can spiral out of control, Criterion's Brazil is a must-own. Plus it helps that the film is a minor masterpiece!
Good luck with the new magazine!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
The Matrix -- Great movie, great DVD. Players should come with this.

Godfather Trilogy Box Set -- What better way to start a collection than with three of the greatest movies of all time.

Total Recall -- A personal favorite, Arnold and Paul Verhoeven's commentary is one of the best. It is superbly funny even though it's not supposed to be. Two guys + Two Accents + Talk of Special Effects = FUNNY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks