What's new

DVD Empire/Paramount Sale (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
This sale seems to be flying under the radar. I don't recall ever buying from them before and just happened upon it by accident. But given the sale price on a number of Paramount titles, a 10% off coupon readily available, and free shipping for orders over $25 you can get 45-50% off retail pricing. And they ship quickly as well. Coming out of PA makes it a short run to me in MD.

I ended up ordering some:

- Mannix (S4),

- Matlock (S5, S6),

- My Three Son's (S2V1, S2V2),

- Have Gun Will Travel (S5V2),

- Fugitive (S4V2), and

- Vega$ (S1V1, S1V2)

Many more titles available, These particular one's gave me a chance to catchup on a few series. Might be worth checking out for those looking to fill a few holes in their collections.

Edit: Added 10% codes I used and link.

DVD4M3

http://www.dvdempire.com/Content/pm/paramount_from_599.asp?sort=2

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, Brad. I know you mentioned that sale somewhere else but I forgot about it. I need the latest HGWT so I'm going to take a look. My goal over the last year or so has been to always hold out for at least 50% off MSRP on all titles. Once in a while I'll give in if it's close to that watermark, but since I know these pressed dvd sets always go on sale sooner or later I've been trying hard to stick to my guns.

Gary 'I haven't used that particular online seller in at least 6 years, but I know they are reputable" O.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Brad,

Thanks for the heads-up. I picked up Season 5 of Perry Mason and Season 4 of The Fugitive. Perry Mason cost $53 ($71 at Amazon) and The Fugitive came to $43 ($62 at Amazon). That's almost 50% of MSRP.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks, Brad! I found a few items that are less expensive than they've been up to this point from other retailers and the coupons make it better! Now if my wallet will just cooperate... :)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I used them for many years during my early DVD collecting, and have bought probably 100 titles from them with only one incident. My Heroes set on BR wouldn't play, one phone call later everything was taken care of personally.

These guys also attended one of my career fairs while I was at my University, so I had the opportunity to meet the crew. They're very passionate about their jobs. I would give them a very good rating as a internet retailer.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Glad the link/reference has provided some value. On occasion using DVD Price Search I had seen where DVDEmpire had the lowest price for an item I was interested in but for some reason I stayed away. I guess I just wasn't used to seeing their name bantered around related to sales in bargain forums.

After making some big hauls last November and December, sales seemed to dry up a bit the last few months regarding my wish list of fill in the gap seasons I needed. While some nice deals have shown up on unrelated titles, I've had an itch to complete some series. So when DVDEmpire popped up again I decided to give them a try. I made two orders that haven't been received yet but were shipped promptly. If all goes well, they'll stay on my list of vendor options.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb

Glad the link/reference has provided some value. On occasion using DVD Price Search I had seen where DVDEmpire had the lowest price for an item I was interested in but for some reason I stayed away. I guess I just wasn't used to seeing their name bantered around related to sales in bargain forums.

After making some big hauls last November and December, sales seemed to dry up a bit the last few months regarding my wish list of fill in the gap seasons I needed. While some nice deals have shown up on unrelated titles, I've had an itch to complete some series. So when DVDEmpire popped up again I decided to give them a try. I made two orders that haven't been received yet but were shipped promptly. If all goes well, they'll stay on my list of vendor options.

Yeah, I've never used them before either but have seen others mention them plenty, with overall positive comments.

This is my first order with them so we'll see how it goes.

I was hoping for a CBS/Paramount sale this spring so this worked great. I was expecting to have to wait until June for B&Ns B2G1 free sale, but the prices here with the coupon code are a few bucks better still.

Ordered

Vegas S1 V2,

Vegas S2 V2,

One Step Beyond First Season,

Dragnet 1970

Ten Commandments Bd

Arthur/Arthur On The Rocks Bd.

all cheaper than what I was expecting to pay from Amazon. Good deal.

Thanks for the code and link!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the info. Purchased

The Fugitive S4V2

Stephen King Trilogy

Deep Impact BluRay

The Ten Commandments BluRay

Jericho S2

Used the discount code, worked like a charm. So much thanks.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Got my first order in today (3 days after ordering). But then they shipped out of PA and I live in MD so not far to travel. At least they didn't sit on it for a few days like some to delay the delivery.

Kage

Stunt Coordinator
A few days ago I ordered Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 at Amazon.com and yesterday it arrived damaged (a few DVDs were scatched, and one dvd had a crack) due to the poor shipping packaging from them (no protective padding around the dvd set, amazon.com just used an envelope that was about 5 times larger and 3 times wider than the item). I called Amazon.com and complained about the damaged dvds and they told me they were out of stock on it and they will give me a refund when they receive it. I'm fed up on the poor packaging job amazon.com does when they ship out dvds, games, and cds.

40 minutes ago I just ordered the last copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 with a 10% off code at dvdempire.com. I checked the price 15 minutes after ordering it and it went up because they are currently out of stock, but I still got the lower price. This is my first time ordering from them and I hope that they use proper packaging when the ship out my item and that it dosen't arrive damage.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I had no problems with the packaging or disks I received from DVDEmpire. One at least came with styrofoam "peanuts" stuffed in the box.

Most of the time the packaging I get from Amazon is the best. Where they shrink warp the contents to a flat cardboard piece that just fits on the bottom. Every once in a while I end up with the soft envelope packaging. I had a discussion with someone else once that was always having difficulties with Amazon packaging and one difference was that we generally had our packages sent from different distribution centers. Also, I usually get multiple items for free shipping, necessitating a box vs. envelope.

Dirk06

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Same here. Almost all of the items I get off Amazon are packaged well, but I also often buy multiple items to get the free shipping, so that may be an issue. The only time I ever get items sent in those bubble-wrap envelopes is when I order something from a private seller on Amazon Marketplace, but of course, Amazon has little control over what form of packaging their sellers use.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb

Same here. Almost all of the items I get off Amazon are packaged well, but I also often buy multiple items to get the free shipping, so that may be an issue. The only time I ever get items sent in those bubble-wrap envelopes is when I order something from a private seller on Amazon Marketplace, but of course, Amazon has little control over what form of packaging their sellers use.

I also almost always order multiple sets in an Amazon order so I rarely have anything packed in an envelope. Occasionally I'll receive a boxed shipment that hasn't been packaged securely but rarely do I encounter the floating/scuffed discs. I think the DVD mgf'rs have improved the retainter hub designs over the past 2-3 years. I have a lot of DVD sets now where it's difficult to remove the discs from the hubs.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Got the main shipment in from them yesterday. It was in a box with peanuts.

I had a couple items that were April pre-orders that were holding up the shipment of the rest. I thought they would ship out a couple bulk orders, but when I realized they weren't going to, I removed the two pre-orders from this one, and made a separate order using the other code. Unlike DD's account/order system, there was no problem at all removing or canceling titles from an order, and the order went out the next morning and it was three days to my door. I will definitely use them to price compare in the future.

One of the Vegas sets had a loose scratched disc, so I'll be sending that back for a replacement using the mailing label they e-mailed me. In the last year I've tried Family Video and Movies Unlimited (for a TCM set) and both disappointed me in regards to quality of packaging. MU in particular offered little more the bare set heat sealed in thick kraft paper. Naturally it came in crushed and dented. DVD Empire has so far been the most satisfying, and it looks like they will fill part of the void left by DD. I think I will be re-upping my Amazon Prime membership this year as well, as that has worked out great in allowing me to jump on single sale items and not have to wait or worry about bundling them to get a break on shipping. The $80 hit is harsh, but I definitely get my value out of it over the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks