DVD/DVD-A player research, information overload

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Peake, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Jeremy Peake

Jeremy Peake Auditioning

I have a fairly decent HT (no HD set yet, using a 36" Sony Wega) and want to upgrade my DVD player. I'm currently using a $120 Best Buy special (Panasonic).

I'm interested in getting a player capable of DVD-audio.

I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX, with Paradigm speakers and a pw-2200.

At some point I will take the plunge to HD with a plasma set (no sooner than 1 year from now).

I've been reading and searching this site, and am overwhelmed with all the info. So here it goes: what player to get? I am considering the following, Pioneer 47ai, something from Denon, or Panasonic RP91. Not sure which way to go. I see the RP91 can be had for under $400 these days. I'm kind of partial to the Pioneer, mainly because I've had good luck with their products in the past. There is a Denon dealer right here in town.

Which way should I go? I watch a lot of movies, and will probably watch a lot more when i finally upgrade my set. But I like music too, and want good DVD-A playback also. Is there a player out there that does both video and sound well? Something I can use for several years without needing to upgrade.

I really appreciate any suggestions. I'd like to stay under $800.

Thanks

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

of those three the only one i ahve had experience is the RP-91, its a very nice player, but it lacks bass management, thats why id enver get it. personally the fact that pioneer has not tried to fix the chroma bug makes me wary of their players, it seems a very poor corporate attitude, and honestly my problem is not so much witht he bug itself, as it is witht he fact that they dont recognize ti as a problem. personally i feel at thsi point in time the ebst bet is to get a universal player, either the pioneer, the forth comming denon 2900, an Onkyo, or the Yamaha S2300. personally if i can get my hands on an S2300 i am goign to buy that. but if its may or june before that can happen then i may go with the denon 2900 instead, i dont really know.

good luck with your decision.

3. Jeremy Peake

Jeremy Peake Auditioning

Thanks for the insight John. Good point on the lack of bass management on the RP-91.

So I guess it comes down to either the Denon 2900, or the Yamaha s2300 you suggested.

How do the 2 stack up against each other? Does the bass management of the s2300 work on the analog outs also? Do either have the "chroma" bug? My last 2 players have had it and I can't notice it on my 'small' set. But a plasma or FPTV will be my next upgrade.

Thanks a lot for you input.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yeah the BM killed the RP-91 for me.

As far as i know the Denon and the Yamaha both have bass management, though there is a fixed crossover, and if i am not mistaken there is no time allignment for SACD, but there are no players that do that as far as i know.

Also the Yamaha is supposed to be based on the RP-82 which has gotten great reviews, i have ehard complaints that it is a little soft.

as far as audio goes ive heard the yamaha isn't the best, but better than alot.

i think personally that the denon will prove to be a better player, but its not available yet the yamaha is.

5. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

If your primary interest is DVDA at this point I would put my money into the ICBM and an inexpensive player at this point. The ICBM will give you the best range of options and can be built into the cost with a cheaper player. Why spend a fortune on a player that does BM poorly, when you can have the ICBM and a good DVDA player for less.

I personally tried the Toshiba 4800 and Pioneer 656A and would recommend the Pioneer hands down. That's just my personal taste but I greatly preferred it on the basis of ergonomics, and mechanical noise level (the whole player was noisy compared to the Pioneer... the S/N doesn't really come into play when the drive itself is distracting you from enjoying the music). Just my 2¢, I think it's a great setup for ~$400. I would also consider the Pioneer Elite 45A... looks like a great unit.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

but you have to consider sacd also, it would be a real pain to have two separate players, and you can always get an ICBM later to enhance any BM

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, another player to consider is the Denon DVD-1600, which retails for $500. Note that the '1600 does not do SACD like some of the players you are considering, however, it gets high marks here for both audio (DVD-Audio, in particular) and video (no chroma bug). In the end, I feel you should try to find a universal player that suits you, but if $500 better fits your budget, take a good look at the '1600.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, one more thing. Unfortunately, the '1600 has no coaxial digital output. That's the main drawback of this player as I see it.

9. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,
    It sounds like you have a nice system that you are slowing adding pieces of your choice. If you like DVD-A consider SACD also. The Yammie does both and lists for $1000. The Denon 3800 is also nice and does incredible on Video. It lists at $1200. If you are a audio guy like me, you will want an ICBM regardless of the player you get. I personally like the Outlaw Audio version and it is priced right. Also, for a little more money you can get the Marantz. IMHO, the best DVD everything player under $2000. Many Audiophiles here in S. Calif love it and compare it to players that cost allot more. It lists for $1600. Do the research and listen to these players if you can. I would rank them as Marantz, Denon and then Yammie. Of course that is the price scale also.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDS2300.htm
    Yammie
    http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/main.html
    Marantz

http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/icbm_about.html
    Outlaw

Good Luck!

10. Jeremy Peake

Jeremy Peake Auditioning

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I hadn't looked at the Denon 1600, and think I'll stop in and demo that one. If I decide I need more player than that, I'll probably wait for the Denon 2900, and compare that to the s2300.

Thanks a lot!

11. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Ah, the joy of large speakers all around. I was going to mention the Denon 1600 as well.