DVD does not work and says:Cannot play due to Area Restrictions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio_B, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

hi,got a prob with 2 new DVD's that i just got.I put them into my DVD player(it's an NTSC DVD player if that helps),and it says:CANNOT PLAY due to Area Restrictions.
    So what do you suggest me to do?
    Thanks in advance!
    Later.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What DVDs are they? Are they from another country? If so that's your problem

3. Antonio_B

hey Jeff,yeah i bought them from Malysia.
    Thoes 2 titles are:Spider-Man and Harry Potter.
    But is there any way to make them work here in Canada(a region converter or something like that)?
    Thanks in advance!

4. YANG

YANG Second Unit

From MALAYSIA?
    I guess you might had bought a region3 release which will not work with you un-hacked DVDplayer which is default to R1 although region3 releases are NTSC discs...
    What model is you player?
    Depend on the make of your player,you maybe able to do multi-region conversion with your DVDplayer's remote control.
    More informations at...
    www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk

5. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the narrow, artificially restricted world of DVDs, Antonio (at least if you live in North America - most folks outside North America bypassed regions long ago).

Fraid you'll have to get your player modded unless it has a remote hack (see vcdhelp.com). Also, don't even bother trying them if they are PAL formatted (unlikely, but possible) cos the video is completely different to NTSC.

The other option is to buy a Malata which (apparently) plays every DVD a North American may feel inclined to throw at it, PAL or NTSC.

6. Antonio_B

i just checked the webpage (vcdhelp.com) and i got no hacks for my new Sony DVD player(Sony DVP-NS415).What do you suggest to do now?
    Later!

7. Jeff Kleist

You have to buy a new player. By the time you ship your deck to England, pay to have a chip fitted and ship it back it'll cost almost as much

As far as I know there are no places that modchip DVD players in North America. There are a few that sell pre-chipped models

8. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Not that I have any insight into the North American market, but just out of curiousity, but is it impossible to just buy the chip and pay anyone with basic soldering skills to insert the chip? Even if it is basically illegal and noone will advertise that they do it?

9. Jeff Kleist

Buying the chip after shipping from the UK is approx $100

Putting them in is QUITE difficult, and the few places that will sell you the chip have many models they refuse to sell bare chips on because of the difficulty in installation

So even if you just buy the chip, by the time you pay to have it installed by an electronics shop you're talking $150-$175 total. And then the player won't convert PAL

10. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

OIC... forgot the PAL/NTSC bit for a while too...
    For once living outside R1 pays off in regards to DVD...
    For reference anyway, www.codefree.dk seems to be a little bit cheaper, but of course there is still the matter of installation, and PAL/NTSC conversion...

11. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

I have always had trouble getting my head around the fact that North America is so far behind the rest of the world when it comes to system compatibility and multi-region hacks.

In most countries outside the US, multi-system TVs (that handle both PAL and NTSC input) are the norm... as are multi-system DVD players (even our VHS players handled both PAL and NTSC tapes). Here in Australia, multi-region players are freely available over the counter at most stores and for a price only slightly above that of the non-hacked version.

Is this the result of smugness on the part of the US manufacturers believing that if the system was not NTSC then it was not good enough... or is it purely a matter of them thinking that if a title is not released in R1 then it is not worth watching?

regards, Tim...

12. Jeff Kleist

13. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

15. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...For once living outside R1 pays off in regards to DVD..."
    ...why "for once"...?... personally, I think it always pays off, since I am at liberty to import - and play - R1 DVDs as wanted/needed, but also R2(NTSC)/Japan, R3(NTSC), R4(PAL), regardless - unlike people in North America, who are "stuck" with whatever is released in their 'Region' because the standard NTSC TV set does not accept PAL signals, unlike the average PAL TV set, which does accept NTSC signals...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

16. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Antonio have you tried simply inserting a normal region 1 dvd in your player, than after it loads to menu, eject and without switching the player off insert your 'area restricted' dvd, it works for me, although its annoying.
    I didn't order the region 1 'Spiderman' because of this RCE crap, don't need the hassle.

17. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...antonio: also take a look here...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

18. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

19. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

With most newer Sony players (including probably your one Antonio) you can make them multiregion with an "engineers" remote (not the one you get with the player). This I think applies to all Sony DVDs released in the last year or so. The upgrade in involves updating some of the firmware / software but its a lot of it which is why you need the special remote.
    A UK company www.dvdchips.co.uk will rent you one in the UK for £50 (USD75). Could ask them about the position for North America or if they know someone offering the service there. Many UK retailers will also do this at point of purchase for nothing or only charge around £20 (USD 30).

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    (oops, double post, see subsequent one :b )