DVD displays in stores

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary->dee, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

This is one of those subjects that you might not often think about. But, when you go to a store and the only way to look at DVD titles is by achingly bending your body and neck to accomodate a 90 degree angle because the store in question only displays their DVD's with the spines visible, it suddenly might dawn on you that there's got to be a better way of displaying DVD's without seeing a chiropractor.

Space in stores is a shrinking luxury. You might not think it, but with the ever-increasing amount of titles available and the fact that perhaps the store might be offering other goods other than DVD's, like stereo equipment, computer goods, washing machines, etc, puts DVD displays at a disadvantage.

The end result: frustrated consumers like myself that simply don't feel or have the time to plow through each and every title, visually or physically.

At any rate I'm just putting this out there. How many times have you been frustrated by the way stores display DVD's? What do you think could have been done to improve the DVD shopping experience, display-wise? Are there any stores you feel have the perfect setup or for that matter the worst?

2. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I don't have any problems reading the spines. It's the same way books and CDs are displayed.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

CDs at Best Buy are all faced...that's where I buy most of my stuff.

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ya Gary, that's how mine is. With regular movies, what can be "fronted" is, but when you get to the music dvd section, all but one or two are bookended.

6. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

This is way too funny for words to describe. I'm literally laughing out loud. My Best Buy AND Walmart display DVD with their front covers. There don't show them using the spines. However, you're completely right. They have so many DVDs that some end up on bottom shelves next to the floor. And I, being a tall person, have to tilt my neck and bend my back just like you described, in order to see the bottom shelves.

7. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

My personal collection of DVDs are displayed using spines. I guess I'm used to that. Best Buys near me (there are at least 5) display most of them by the spine, there are endcaps and a "new release" section that display them by the face.

8. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Well, yeah, CDs in stores are usually faced. I was thinking more about at home.

I dunno, I don't have any problem reading sideways. I don't have to tilt my head or anything.

9. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

At home, mine are displayed by the spine, so it's really just in what your used to looking at I guess. Both the Wal-Mart and the Best Buy I shop at do it mostly by the face.