DVD Discoloration

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mikya, May 7, 2004.

1. Mikya

Mikya Extra

I recently picked up the 2-disc SE of Singing in the Rain. When I popped out the feature dvd to check it for blemishes I saw something peculiar. From the edge of the dvd into almost to center, there is a discoloration in the data layer. To picture its shape, imagine, if you will, making a print the length of your thumb on a radius of the dvd.

Now, this certainly isn't a thumb print, just the shape of an area where the color of the data layer is a few shades lighter than that of the rest of the data layer. Has anyone seen this before? it's a new one on me. Although, the dvd appears to play just fine, I'm worried that it might cause trouble in years to come.

2. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

i've actually had a few discs like that before.
    how does it play?

once or twice i've noticed bad audio just so i exchanged the disc. the rest, since they all play fine, i just kept.

this is on approx. 5 of my discs

3. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

Heaps of discs have discoloration. The retailers won't replace discs unless they have problems, so I'm stuck with some discs with discoloration and minor scratches.

4. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

I have several such discs ( mostly MGM titles oddly enough ). They all play without a hitch, so I'm assuming it's not a major problem.