dvd digital audio output question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ericLee, Dec 5, 2002.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I recently ungraded my dvd player from a philips 701 (2 year old model) to a new 724at. I even bought a new fancy digital coax cable with it (almost half the cost of the dvd player!). I can't say the sound improved at all. even switching between a cheaper coax cable and a toslink cable had no effect on the sound at all. since they are used as transports the sound (movie) should be the same right since its all digital. My question is how much money do you have to spend for a dvd player for someone with a lo/mid-fi system to notice improvments in sound quality(DD/DTS sound, not CD sound) using the players as transports. Tell me any experiances you might have had when upgrading dvd players. did movie sound actualy improve? I might return the player but if i have to buy something that cost over 300 dollars more than i don't think it would be worth it for just a small improvement.

My reciver is a marantz sr6200
    speakers are new qx dahlquist
    thanks in advance for any help.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    How much money would you have to spend to hear a significant improvement in sound quality from a low to mid-fi system?

I wouldn't expect any noticeable improvement at any price assuming your current DVD player is working correctly.

Jitter could potentially be an issue with a poorly designed DVD player (yes, even with DTS and Dolby Digital), but I doubt this is an issue for a low/mid-fi system. Due to their nature, the cable you use with the player when listening to DTS or Dolby Digital soundtracks won't make any difference at all.

Adam

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Eric:

I'd make sure that your DVD player is set to output surround sound signals.

It's a silly oversite, but its one I made on my PS2 (still my primary DVD player). The difference for most movies came when I hooked up a TRUE surround soundtrack.

Compared with a Dolby 2.0 signal (i.e. just plain stereo), you should notice a BIG difference on most DTS/DD 5.1 soundtracks, ESPECIALLY on recent movies (i.e. ones made after they started making movie soundtracks in surround sound.... I'd say Jurassic Park is a good watershed movie for that). Pop in one of these:

The Rock CC
    Moulin Rouge
    Blue Man Group Audio
    Terminator 2: UE
    U-571
    Die Hard 1/2/3 (pick)
    Star Wars Episode I/II
    Blade II
    Rush Hour II
    Goldmember
    Gladiator
    Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition

And make sure you have the right soundtrack selected (i.e. one thats more than 2 channels). If you don't hear a difference AFTER THAT, then its probably not the fault of the DVD player or your receiver.

THOSE ALL should sound better compared to a standard stereo signal or a stereo signal converted to surround by Dolby Pro Logic (1 or 2). If the player is downconverting (i.e. forcing the expanded surround signal down to just 2 channels) then you may have a problem. My guess is that is the most likely reason why you can't hear a difference.

You WERE using RCA (white+red) cables before the coax, right?

4. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

Brian R-
    It's set up correctly to output raw signals. I did at first select PCM output and it actualy outputed full DD and DTS sound but when i poped in a region 3 disc only 2 channel downmix was avalible. Same with my previous phillips. PCm was selected and i got full surround not just Dolby pologic. But still comparing the 2 players there is no diffrence in sound.
    That digital cable was such a waste of money. should have just bought a couple of dvds instead.