DVD digital audio out, hardware or software problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Sims, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Tom Sims

Tom Sims Auditioning

Need some words of wisdom from people more informed than I in the audio department.

I have an older Pioneer receiver with Dolby Pro Logic and a Sony Vaio 1.5G computer. My goal is to get 5.1 digital surround.
    To start I upgraded my receiver to an Onkyo SR-500 which accepts 5.1 digital.
    Next I upgraded my sound card to a SB Live 5.1. I know there are better cards out there but all I need to do is pass through a digital signal and this does.
    I have Windvd set for SPDIF out.

The problem is that I still do not get digital out. I did note that the SB Live comes with a cable to connect from the DVD to the card but the DVD does not have an SPDIF out. I suspect that this is the problem but before I spend more money on a new DVD I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something basic. Does the DVD player REQUIRE a SPDIF out to connect directly with the card or is there a software setting that will do that?

Thanks in advance

Tom

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

you need to connect the digital out on your dvd-rom to the digital in on your sound card.

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    W2k allows you to set digital audio for the drive without an additional connection, if your drive supports it (check the drive properties via the Device Manager, option "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device.").

Also, in the audio settings for the SB (double-click the speaker icon down in the toolbar) there is an option to enable the digital output. It took me a while to figure that one out as well :).

-Christian

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Another thing is a few of the SB Live driver versions had busted digital out support. The latest version does work though (5.12.2.252).

5. Tom Sims

Tom Sims Auditioning

[you need to connect the digital out on your dvd-rom to the digital in on your sound card.]
    Jeff,
    That's the problem. There is no connection for a digital out on the dvd-rom.

[W2k allows you to set digital audio for the drive without an additional connection, if your drive supports it (check the drive properties via the Device Manager, option "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device.").]
    Christian,
    I have XP home. Maybe it has the same option as W2k. And hopefully the drive supports it. I'll check when I get home. Thanks

[ Another thing is a few of the SB Live driver versions had busted digital out support. The latest version does work though (5.12.2.252).]
    Garbriel,
    I'll go ahead and load that driver up regardless of what the real problem is. Can't hurt. Thanks