DVD Decoder problem for computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Josh Simpson, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

First I want to apologize if this isn't in the right forum. I'm stumped. I recently upgraded an older AMD 700 Windows 98 to XP. Ok, no problem there. My brother recently bought a new DVD burner for his new gateway, so he gave me his dvd rom. I installed it fine, everything works fine. I put in a dvd and it installs Interactual player, and another dvd installed PC friendly dvd. Well, when I put a dvd in to play the actual movie I get a message saying "cannot find dvd decoder." Then with interactual I get sent to their site where I can buy one for 29 bucks. Is there something I can install for free to get this to work. I've looked at the Gateway Drivers disc and XP, and can't seem to find the problem. Can anybody help? I thought I might try and see if I can burn Windvd from my brother's computer and see if I can try installing that and see if that will help. So whenver I open a dvd in media player, interactual, or pc friendly, it says that a decoder cannot be found. Any help would be great.

2. Josh Simpson

Sorry moderator, I thought I looked closely to make sure I didn't put it in the wrong place, and I still did.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

you need to uninstall that junk. Interactual and PCFriendly have ruined DVD playback on more systems than I can count

4. Josh Simpson

Ok, I uninstalled that stuff, but that still doesn't change the fact my computer says that a dvd decoder isn't installed on my computer.

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I had interactual and uninstalled it, but sometimes when I put in a dvd my ATI media player pops up and ALSO the interactual install screen pops up. How can I completely remove any trace of interactual?

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The problem your encountering is that you don't have a licensed DVD decoder software to play a DVD with. You will need to purchase some form of software (windvd, powerdvd, etc) to perform the playback, if your brother has a gateway computer (and thus the license to use software on the computer) he most likely can't transfer it to you as most likely it will use a form of hardware key to unlock the software for his computer. The thing is that though he now owns a burner, if it came with a DVD decoder software then he may be able to transfer this to you legally but double check the paper work under the license agreement.

7. Josh Simpson

Thanks Robert. I did that just a bit before you posted. I searched and found his Windvd cd, and installed it and now it's all hunky dory. Thanks.[​IMG]