DVD decoder card for Dell PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_S, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 and a Pioneer DVD ROM drive. What DVD hardware decoder card will work for me? I'm using Windows XP.

2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

To take a different tack to start: presuming you would want to take advantage of updates in the software that drives the decoder card, AVOID the Hollywood Plus from Sigma Designs (well, it's pretty old so you probably wouldn't even think of getting it, good for you).
    I've had it for over three years and used it successfully with Windows 98, 2000 and now XP. It works fine for the simple playing of my library but I wish for more. I say avoid mainly because Sigma Designs hasn't updated the drivers and DVDstation (the movie player) software since October, 2001. Seeing how cool PowerDVD is (with dual subtitle display, and much more), in comparison, though a physical remote control is also available for purchase, DVDstation has kept its look and features pretty well the same with each update. Updates seem to only address issues with certain DVDs as they crop up.
    On the other hand, the Xcard from the same company looks very interesting. Since it's their newest development, I would imagine that they'd support it for some time to come.

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Offhand I don't know what the GX110 hardware is, but if the processor is somewhere around a PIII 500, you can play PowerDVD or WinDVD with just about any graphics card with NO hardware decoder. I had a Dimension XPS T500 with a Diamond Viper (16MB TNT) and QI DVD decoder, after I upgraded to XP, I have to yank the QI decoder card (because Qi has gone bye bye and the last driver was W98), all my soft players play without a hitch with the old Diamond card.

4. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

My PC is a PIII/533 with 384MB of RAM. I have PowerDVD software which works ok if I don't do anything else on the PC. If I open something else than the play back will get really choppy. I'll check out that XCARD.

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

If you are planning on playing DVD along with using other apps, then it's a bit tricky, because it now depends on what the other apps do. You may want to just look at the later generation of video cards, such as the ATI 8500LE (64MB DDR under $100), as it (and just about everything in similar generation) has a very power graphics engine as well as much superior motion compnesation (compare to the cards made in the XPS T days).
    If you go shopping, whether it's retail, online or EBay, you will hardly see new DVD decoder cards anymore, as in the last year or two, graphics engines are so powerful that nobody can make any money producing DVD decoder cards (to add on to graphics cards).