What's new

DVD Decision 2006? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I'd forgotten the full selection and could only remember ...Crooked Man and Looker so I wasn't to disappointed with the results.

Until I did find the original slate and realized that Carny never made the cut.
The Hand another weak film, but one I was curious to see again, will probably still get a release with a Halloween themed promotion- but I wonder when Carny will ever see the light of day now.
Bowahni Junction sounded intriguing too

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
What will happen to those titles that didn't make the final selection?
Warner must have thought enough of them to include them in the first place.

I really wanted THE EDDIE CANTOR STORY.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

In the past when we "voted" it simply decided which titles were to be released first, and which would become available at a later date. I hope the same applies this time around.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I was really hopeful that B.J. would get released. I think A Star Is Born (1954) is the first great CinemaScope film, that takes advantage of the format to its full potential. So I am very interested in seeing if/how Cukor's style evolved in his second CinemaScope film.

Plus the D.O.P. is Freddie Young, who has a habit of doing amazing things in exotic locations, so I am dissapointed that it got over looked.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Very disappointed to see that Carny and Blume in Love did not make the cut.

I also voted for Get to Know Your Rabbit, You're a Big Boy Now and The Hand.

I did vote for Looker so I must have somewhat of a bead on the pulse of the general public.

Count me in as very curious about Mike's Murder (I voted for this one too) in both its 'linear' and original 'flashback' forms. Perhaps if director James Bridges was still around to fight for his original cut, we might see it, but now it looks to be an extreme longshot.

In its original cut, the film utilized a score by none other than Joe Jackson. When the film was recut, most of Jackson's score was replaced by a new one by John Barry. Interestingly, the Jackson score was released on LP by A&M (Jackson's label) while Barry's has never seen an official release. I haven't heard the Jackson album, but it has been proclaimed as the unsung masterwork in his oeuvre and is now finally available on CD.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I did not see Best Foot Forward mentioned on the Warners press release. I know it is an Amazon exclusive due on December 19, but I am curious about what the extras will be. Has there been any anouncement?

ted:r

Second Unit

I hope that's true but I'm not so sure. "Executive Suite" and "I'll Cry Tomorrow" still remain unreleased from the first vote and this was the second time around for "All Fall Down" and "Operation Crossbow". Also listed in a previous vote and not released are "Edge Of The City", "Party Girl", "The Search" and "Greed".

I've got the feeling that the films listed are all marginal release and WB is testing whether there is real interest in them by having these votes. If they don't get enough interest, they might be back-burnered, sad to say. That doesn't mean some of them won't see the light of day, if they garnered enough interest but fell outside the top 12. But to believe all 30 will be released is rather unlikely.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
what about Operation Crossbow? so pleased it has bee nchosen for release later this year.... A great movie which i had on laserdisc a number of years ago BUT some collectors will remember that side 3 of the LD was in MONO yet it was a movie with a stereo soundtrack.

Warners if you are reading this thread please make sure you remaster the final reels of operation Crossbow with a stereo Soundtrack........

PLEASE NOTE!

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

Hehe, I voted for Gymkata, Carny, Looker... I can't help myself sometimes. Although I'm pretty sure I voted for Bhowani Junction and Get to Know Your Rabbit as well.

I'm glad Looker won but too bad about Carny. It looks interesting.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
ALL of Operation Crossbow should be in stereo not just the last reels. I didn't have the laser but I did see the film in its original release in 70mm. Hopefully themix has survived.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
PLEASE restore LOOKER back so it makes sense!!

When ABC aired it, they restored apparently 15 mins. of scenes that EXPLAINED the movie's crazy premise. Unlike most extraneous "added scenes for TV" these actually improved the movie tenfold since it actually made more sense!

I'm not expecting Warner's to do it, but if there was ever a time (and this may be the only shot we ever have at it) to restore LOOKER, this is it!! :)

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
you are right ALL of Operation Crossbow should be in STEREO but regrettably back in 1996 or so MGM could not locate STEREO masters for the final reels of this classic movie.

I REALLY hope when they come to do the re mastering that the WHOLE FILM gets the stereo treatment....

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Well, since THE BLUE DAHLIA belongs to Universal, what does that have to do with this topic?

THE BIG STEAL wasn't a candidate in the promotion, but it's such a great noir, that I would be surprised if it wasn't in WB's next Noir box.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Angels in the Outfield is the only title I was interested in, so I'm happy. Now I just need to figure out what to order it with to qualify for free shipping...

Corey

Screenwriter
Well WB said Greed was going to be released this year or next, but I'm wondering will it be in a set with the rest of the silent titles. I hope, so I can save money. Executive Suite will finally make the rounds next year.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Looks like Warner Bros have located the previously missing stereo masters because today, in the UK, the BBC showed OPERATION CROSSBOW and the COMPLETE film, including the final reels, was in stereo. BBC showed it in anamorphic widescreen but cropped to 1:85:1 (apart from the opening titles which were 2.35:1) as they usually do for widescreeen films. Judging from this the forthcoming DVD should all be in stereo as well.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just got Operation Crossbow which Warners have remixed to 5.1. Sound is basically stereo from the front speakers with the main benefit being Ron Goodwin's music score. Anamorphic 2.35:1 picture quality is good. Disc contains the original trailer plus a vintage 10 minute short about Germany's rocket development using mainly newsreel footage. Good to have this entertaining, if not very authentic, war film on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks