What's new

DVD Decision 2006? (1 Viewer)

ted:r

Second Unit
Fingers crossed that "Crooked Man" still makes the cut...happy that "Madame Curie" is there... but no "Big Boy", no "All Fall Down", no "Sunrise at Campobello"? I must say, I am disappointed.

Well I hope all you "Gymkata" fans have fun, at least...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I'm glad that I picked up the fine anamorphic "There Was A Crooked Man" aka "Le Reptile" when I was in Paris recently. I also picked up "A Distant Trumpet" and "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" and "Hanging Tree".

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Ill probably be blind buying all except Gymkata (which sounds kind of ridiculous) and Looker which doesn't seem like my sort of thing either...

Will these all be released individualy?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
"...Crooked Man" is now up for pre order with a December 19th street date.
Cover art is no longer there though (hope they don't change it in favor of another boring big head photshop job...though I frankly would be surprised if they didn't)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
From davisdvd.com:

Warner Home Video and Amazon.com have announced the results of DVD Decision 2006, the latest annual online poll where movie fans could vote for ten obscure films to be released on DVD. The Illustrated Man, There Was A Crooked Man, Presenting Lily Mars, Up Periscope and Operation Crossbow will be released on December 19th, while The Arrangement, Band of Angels, Gymkata, Looker and Madame Curie are due on January 30th. Two additional titles will be released as Amazon.com exclusives: Best Foot Forward and Angels In The Outfield. Each title will feature newly re-mastered transfers and bonus materials. Retail is $19.97 apiece.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
The Official WB PR just arrived:
-------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

WARNER HOME VIDEO and AMAZON.COM ANNOUNCE WINNERS FOR DVD DECISION™ 2006

Illustrated Man, There Was A Crooked Man, Presenting Lily Mars, Up Periscope, Operation Crossbow, The Arrangement, Band of Angels, Gymkata, Looker, Madame Curie

Burbank, Calif. and SEATTLE - August 28, 2006 -- The voting results are in for DVD Decision™ 2006, an initiative from Warner Home Video and Amazon.com that offered movie fans nationwide a chance to select their favorite titles to be released on DVD. The 10 movies that received the most online votes will be released by Warner Home Video in two waves. The Illustrated Man, There Was A Crooked Man, Presenting Lily Mars, Up Periscope and Operation Crossbow will make their DVD debut December 19. The second wave of winners, The Arrangement, Band of Angels, Gymkata, Looker and Madame Curie will street January 30, 2007.

All of the films will be re-mastered and will contain added bonus features where available. Each title will be listed for $19.97 SRP. Pre-orders for all titles can be done through Amazon.com starting today.

WHV and Amazon.com jointly nominated 30 films from Warner Bros.’ vast library (the world’s largest) that have never before been seen on DVD. Visitors to the Amazon.com web site voted for their favorite titles throughout the month of June. The movies were spotlighted on Amazon.com with links to trailers, synopses, customer feedback and other information.

"We are delighted consumers participated in the DVD Decision voting process. Listening to what they want has always been a major factor driving WHV to its #1 position in home video market share,” said George Feltenstein, senior vice president of theatrical catalog marketing at WHV. It was a terrific opportunity to learn from Amazon.com’s customers, who represent a perfect cross-section of tastes, attitudes and purchasing patterns.”

“We teamed with WHV on DVD Decision to empower our tens of millions of customers with the ability to vote on and select the 10 classic movies that the world would see on DVD for the first time,” said Greg Hart, vice president of movies at Amazon.com. “The results of this vote demonstrate the diversity and breadth of tastes that our customers have.”

DVD Decision™ 2006

The Illustrated Man (1969) - A man, whose body is almost completely covered in tattoos (Rod Steiger), is looking for the woman who drew all the intricate designs on him. Each tattoo hides a futuristic story, which is experienced when stared at. Based on the book by Ray Bradbury.

Special Features:

Vintage featurette Tattooed Steiger
Original theatrical trailer

There Was a Crooked Man (1970) - Paris Pitman, Jr. (Kirk Douglas) is a cocky inmate who matches wits with prison warden Woodward Lopeman (Henry Fonda) in this 1800’s period western drama. Also stars Burgess Meredith, John Randolph and Lee Grant.

Presenting Lily Mars (1943) - Talented small-town girl Lily Mars (Judy Garland) hounds producer John Thornway (Van Heflin) for a part in his new play, but he doesn't want anything to do with stage-struck amateurs. However, when Lily follows him to New York, he gets to know her and his opinion of her changes for the better. When the leading lady of the play walks out, Lily finally gets her big break on Broadway.

Special Features:

Audio only out take of deleted finale Paging Mr. Greenback
Audio only version of the ‘long, later re-edited finale’ Where There's Music
Final version of the film’s Where There's Music as used in the film, but with Stereo audio as a separately selectable feature
1943 MGM short subject Heavenly Music
1943 MGM cartoon Who Killed Who? directed by Tex Avery

Up Periscope (1959)—Buoyed by his small screen success as TV’s “Maverick,” Warner Bros. gave James Garner his first starring role in a big-budget motion picture with Up Periscope and the box-office results were superb. In this WWII action classic, Garner portrays Lieutenant Braden, who discovers that Sally (Andra Martin), the woman he's been falling in love with, has actually been checking out his qualifications to be a U.S. Navy frogman. He must put his personal life behind him after receiving an assignment in which he is smuggled into a Japanese-held island via submarine to photograph radio codes.

Operation Crossbow (1965) - This is the story of the methods used to defeat Hitler's V1 (doodlebug) and V2 (rocket) "revenge weapons" towards the end of the second world war. Even though the Nazis were in retreat, these weapons could have turned their defeat into victory. The film includes references to Hannah Reich, who in real life was a test pilot and really did fly some of the first 'flying bombs'. With Sophia Loren, George Peppard, Trevor Howard and John Mills.

The Arrangement (1969) –Legendary stage and film director Elia Kazan returned to the screen for the first time in several years to create this provocative and moving melodrama. Eddie (Kirk Douglas) is a very rich man who has everything he wants; money, family, success. But a car crash makes him reconsider the life he leads. Searching for the happiness he lost, he remembers his one time lover, Gwen (Faye Dunaway). Meanwhile his wife (Deborah Kerr) schemes to take his fortune.

Special Features:

Vintage behind-the-scenes featurette on the making of The Arrangement

Band of Angels (1957) – In an attempt to carry on in his great Rhett Butler tradition, Gone With The Wind star Clark Gable once again flexes his muscular charms in another Civil War-era movie, this time about a torrid romance between a plantation owner and a biracial beauty. Directed by Raoul Walsh, and also starring Yvonne De Carlo and Sidney Poitier, the film is highlighted by a stunning musical score by Gone With The Wind composer Max Steiner.

Gymkata (1985) -- Johnathan Cabot (Kurt Thomas) is a champion gymnast. In the tiny, yet savage country of Parmistan, there is a perfect spot for a "star wars" site. For the US to get this site, they must compete in the brutal "Game". The government calls on Cabot, the son of a former operative, to win the game, so in order to do so Cabot combines his skill at western gymnastics with his fighting secrets of the east and forms Gymkata.

Looker (1981) - A plastic surgeon (Albert Finney) gets suspicious when models he has operated on begin to die in mysterious ways. With the help of Cindy (Susan Dey), the next in line to be killed, he traces the deaths to a mysterious corporation which develops new technologies. Directed and written by Michael Crichton (Westworld, Coma).

Madame Curie (1943) – Perennial co-stars Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon followed their triumph in the Oscar-winning Mrs. Miniver, with this memorable biographical classic. Garson portrays the young Polish physics student Marie, who soon falls In love with and marries Dr. Pierre Curie (Walter Pidgeon), in whose lab she had worked. On their honeymoon they decide to investigate a strange effect Professor Becquerel (Reginald Owen) has noticed with the uranium/thorium stones used for Marie’s dissertation, and they determine there must be additional radioactive elements causing it. After years of experimentation in a makeshift lab at the University, they are finally able to isolate a few grains of a new element, radium, from 7 tons of raw material. Unfortunately, at the height of their success, tragedy strikes. The grand success of Madame Curie continued Garson’s winning streak as one of the biggest box-office stars of the decade.

Special Features:

'37 MGM short: The Romance of Radium
Greer Garson Trailer Gallery: Goodbye Mr. Chips '39, Madame Curie, Mrs. Miniver, Pride and Prejudice, Random Harvest

About Warner Home Video

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
No mention of special features for Michael Crichton's Looker, but I hear there are many extra scenes on the television-edit version which they could include as deleted scenes if they cared to. My guess is they won't care to.

Corey

Screenwriter
they've released 5 greer garson films. they can make a boxed set for the fans that don't have her films like they're doing with henry fonda. but one that are new to dvd would be great:

-the valley of decision
-mrs. parkington
-julie misbehaves
-blossoms in the dust
-that forsythe woman

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wouldn't mind having the Greer Garson-Joan Crawford WHEN LADIES MEET as part of one of the boxed sets that could be planned for these actresses.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
What kind of jackass would vote for Gymkata over You're A Big Boy Now, All Fall Down, Bhowani Junction, and Sunrise at Campobello? So much for intellingent movie fans- with a choice like that, it's no wonder that so many great titles have yet to see the DVD light of day........

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I really hope you're wrong. The only time I ever saw this film was on TV and I'd love to get the deleted scenes as well. Mind you, I'd also have loved to see Mike's Murder get released, with both the flashback and linear versions included, but not this time around.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I have a confession to make.

You can thank (or blame me) for helping to get "Gymkata" to DVD. You see, there's a website called I-Mockery (http://www.i-mockery.com/) and one of their most notable pieces was an extensive article on "Gymkata" (It can be found in their Features section). It's gained a cult reputation on that website, so when I saw that it was nominated as part of DVD Decision 2006, I e-mailed Roger Barr (who runs I-Mockery). He posted about it in his blog and mirrored it to FARK (another humor website), encouraging people to vote for it.

The voting was successful and now "Gymkata" is coming to DVD.

I apologize to all my fellow HTFers, but I love a bad movie and I heard that this one is really bad.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'll be buying "Gymkata" and "Looker".

Corey

Screenwriter

paired with the 1933 version with myrna loy and ann harding. nice pre-code film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Gymkata? Now, I love a cheesy movie. With the right people and the right amount of alcohol, they can be a great time. The local arts paper just reviewed "Snakes on a Plane" with two rating systems. The movie got one star, the experience got five. I appreciate that sentiment.

But Gymkata is just boring. It's not fun. There is a bright spot near the middle where the star finds a pommel horse in the middle of a town of crazies he can use to fend off an army of cannibals (yes, cannibals) -- but, the rest of the movie is just a dull time.

Whoever voted for this movie should be ashamed of themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks