DVD cracked in the inner ring!!! What can i do to save the Disc???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EnricoE, Apr 11, 2005.

1. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

yesterday i received the first pressing of the devil's advocate by mail from a friend. but when i opened the snapper and checked the dvd i saw some serious cracks in the inner ring. so far the part of the disc where the laser reads is free but the cracks a very serious. i have the feeling that the dvd may be break completely if i play so i like to know if can do something to fix the disc?

i'm open for any good advice to save this rare dvd [​IMG]

2. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

Crazy Glue?

3. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

4. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I would think that the problem with adding glue to the disc is to make sure it is done evenly around the entire ring. Otherwise the glue could way down one side of the disc and a shift in the balance as it spins in the player could cause other problems.

5. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I don't think that discs are perfectly balanced, in fact, I know some of mine aren't.

6. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson Second Unit

I wouldn't worry about this if it would take futher significant stress for the crack to spread. Try to find a protective sleeve to keep the dvd in so you don't have to pop it on and off any kind of spindle. Watch out for such lateral stresses on the disc.

But if it's really bad, I might try that very fine, fine film of the right kind of glue applied in a totally uniform application to prevent balance issues.

--Jack

7. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

Try to find a friend with a dual layer burner to make a backup for playing.... that's not piracy, its fair use!

8. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    The only time I have encountered this was at Xmas, when I received an R2 double-disc set of Quatermass Xperiment/ Quatermass II.

Both discs had horrible cracks at the center, and a small chip had actually fallen out of one! The hub for the first film was very tight, but I've no idea at what point the damage to the discs was done.

Amazon.co.uk was good enough to replace the discs, but I have to say that the cracked discs, although alarming-looking, did play without incident. Provided your copy plays fine, you might want to leave it alone rather than risk messing it up with glue.

Check the spindle on the case you keep the disc in, though - the only place the disc is likely to take damage is when you put it in and out of the case. A really tight hub (like one of the ones I encountered) could put stress on the cracks and make it worse.

9. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

well, the disc plays fine but nonetheless it's risky [​IMG] i asked a friend if he can burn me the dvd on a dual layer dvdr. to bad i can't just ask warner for a replacement [​IMG] i gonna consider the gluing method too.

thanks for the tips [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I'd also recommend keeping that disc in a paper envelope.

I had a disc with a slight rim crack.

During one routine removal from the case, it shattered completely.

Never put a cracked disc back on the hub.

Although DA is a snapper title, which is a really easy hub on discs...

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Since you say cracks, as in multiple, I would go with the backup method. Then you can try to crazy glue it or whatever you like to fix it. If it breaks, no biggie as you have the backup already. Don't play it before you make the copy...

12. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

As others have said, make a backup. You can keep both in the same case as proof of why you have a backup of it.