What's new

DVD counting question.. (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
No, actually it's not semantics. A pilot is an episode/TV movie that is made to try to get a show picked up by a network. You are correct when you say that the process was used with "The Cage", but that is not correct with "Encounter at Farpoint". Star Trek The Next Generation went directly into syndication and the entire series was put into production without an actual pilot filmed for network review.

The same goes for "Emissary" of DS9 and "Caretaker" of Voyager.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I count films as well. This works perfectly except for tv box sets, which I just count as one.

-Tom

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I count both. I have a count of individual titles and a count of DVD's. If someone were to ask, I would respond with the title count, however, not the number of discs.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I count the films themselves. So Abyss is only 1 for me. I even count season box sets as 1. Now movie collection box sets like Oliver Stone or Kubrick I count each movie individualy the box just keeps them together.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I guess I should say how I count:

For movies, I go by movies. Box sets count as the # of movies they contain. 2 movies/1 disc = 2.

For TV, I go buy how it's issued. So if I was collecting Star Trek, it would be 40. Star Trek The Next Generation will count as 7 (one for each season). Same with the Simpsons, Sopranos, Sex and the City, etc.

Any other DVD product is a case-by-case basis a judgement call.

Maybe I should just keep two separate numbers.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so when i check peoples list's at dvd profiler or dvdtracker.com and see someone that has a total of ,,say...1122 at the total line it really might not be that many actual "titles" it may really only be maybe 700 or so "titles". sounds like post counts that are bragged about that are very big, bumped up by posts in word assoc. threads.:thumbsdown:

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I count mine by the title. Although box sets I treat a little different. The Nightmare on Elm Street collection I count each title not just 1 DVD for the whole set. Same is true for the Little Rascals DVD set. Each DVD I count as 1 DVD since they were available seperate. The upcoming Buffy the vampire slayer I will count as 1 DVD.

One title I can't decide on how to count is the Limited edition tin of Hellraiser that also includes Hellraiser2. It is in one box so I count it as one.

Does anyone count the free DVD 's from Total Movie or the Inside DVD disc that included movies? I haven't since they are freebies but some of them included decent movies(Little Shop Of Horrors, Night Of The Living Dead) that should be considered part of your collection.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I count per box. So even one of the 6 DVD Bond boxes counts as one. But for the most part I just don't count.

There are two reasons for that approach: I'd rather minimize than maximize the number of disks so civilians (i.e. non HTF people) won't think I'm crazy. Also to the extent I count it is through an Excel spreadsheet and there you have one entry per box.

Ted

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Joe is correct here concerning Trek.

Encounter at Farpoint WAS NOT a pilot. It was just simply the first episode in a regular weekly time slot.

The Cage was a pilot and was not part of a regular weekly slot.

Andy

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I keep track of both "titles" and "discs". The number of discs is self-explanatory. As for my definition of "title", any movie regardless of number of discs is 1 title. Extra discs do not count as titles. For instance: Godfather boxset is 3 titles, 5 discs; Toy Story Ultimate Toybox is 2 titles, 3 discs; and Abyss is 1 title, 2 discs.
TV series boxsets are a bit trickier, but I've decided to say that each disc, regardless of number of episodes on the disc, is a "title" as long as it isn't a pure extras disc.
Check out my home-brewed software to keep track of my DVDs:
Link Removed
username: user
password: user
There's lots more features that are only activated if you use the magic word, which is definitely not user/user :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Okay, but how do my fellow title (not disc) counters count something like 'Almost Famous - Untitled?'

Technically it's just different edits of the same movie (like a seamlessly branched movie 'The Abyss') but each edit has a different title, and both feature seperate soundtrack options. So would that be one title or two?

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
I count my collection in movie titles. Any titled that contains multiple discs (for any reason) is still one title. My James Bond boxed set is six films. Where it gets tricky is my Godfather boxed set. I have decided that to count it as four titles, one for each movie and one for the bonus material disc.
In the end, its all up to you the way that you want to count your collection, although my way is the right way :)
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks